1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shipping a bass from USA to the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

What's the best way to ship a bass from the USA to the UK?

I have been looking at Fedex, UPS and USPS.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Depends on the value...

For higher value, USPS Global Express IMHO is best for price for you and least hassle with customs / no brokerage fees for the receivers..
  3. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

To further clarify, do you mean to say there are zero customs fees when using USPS Global Express? Or are "brokerage" fees only one portion of customs fees into the UK?
  4. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Brokerage fees are separate, customs and taxes (VAT) remain the same.

UPS is almost double the price, USPS is definitely the way to go. they even track the item, at least until it gets to UK customs. The only problem is there is a limit to the amount you can insure for, so you are taking a risk if the bass is an expensive one.
  5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I'd use this service again: http://www.discountshipping.us

They buy time and service off the majors and re-sell. I had a Ricky 4003 shipped from Ontario to Brisbane in 7 days for 275USD or thereabouts, excluding customs of course.

It came via DHL.

And they are cheaper than some other courier re-sellers I used such as interparcel.

If the receiving person is willing, you can consider shipping an bolton neck bass dis-assembled. I had several guitars and basses shipped from the US to UK via USPS using that method (I lived in UK until recently). It makes the boxes smaller and this is critical with a bass as the typical Long Scale bass usually exceeds the permissible box sizes for USPS airmail.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    No brokerage fees. But receiver may need to pay customs fees depending on values indicated on the forms etc.

UPS and FedEx charge a brokerage fee separate from customs
  7. mr p taylor

mr p taylor

the UK end will certainly pay import duty amongst other charges such as VAT.

there was an 1980's ibanez roadstar i was interested in on the american ebay, but it would have run me more than a USA standard fender by the time i got it here.
  8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I don't believe that to be correct, I must have imported several basses and guitars from the US to the UK and yes you pay VAT and yes you pay customs but based on $500USD instrument value for a used Roadster, it will not cost more than a USA P retailing in the UK new at £1048 after adding VAT, postage and duties.
  9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I paid $87 bucks last week to send a musicman stingray with the neck off from Oregon to England .
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I will be shipping a Rickenbacker to England from the USA. It is a Rickenbacker worth about $1800. On the internet I found they had insurance for that much. But at the post office they said they could only insure up to $600. Perhaps they weren't looking at global express shipping.
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Postal is correct, they have a limit of what they'll insure and usually tops about $675 per box. Unfortunately for a Ric being one piece thats a long box you have to ship, wouldn't suprise me if its $160 on postal.
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    For future reference. USPS priority or express has a size limit of 108 length plus girth. So in many cases the extra effort isn't worth it as the size does not add to the cost. Most of the time. Worth measuring and estimating before hand...
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I had a Jazz in hardcase mailed by priority mail to NZ, probably was underinsured but no problem with the size.