Shipping a bass into Canada

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AdamR, Dec 4, 2013.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Whats everyone preferred carrier to ship out of the US ? I just shipped a Jazz bass, Usually I pay $45-$65 to ship from the East coast to the West coast. USPS usually doesnt work because a HSC is to long. I ended up shipping UPS because it was cheapest at $160. Fed Ex wanted $360 :eek:

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You just hosed the receiver... I would pissed if you were shipping that to me but I would have made it clear before you packed it.

Couriers tack on additional charges when bringing stuff over the border, always ship out of the country via USPS, the upfront cost will always be higher but the overall cost will always be lower.

This should be a sticky.

3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

UPS really screws us Canadians on brokerage. They are by far the worst of all methods. DHL is really good. Fed Ex as well. I won't do a deal if the seller demands UPS because it won't be worth it. The buyer will end up paying full duty, taxes, and their outrageous brokerage which is determined based on the value of the item shipped not the time it takes to fill out the border document.

It's really ridiculous as with an expensive item they will charge upwards of $200 for someone with little to no education to fill out a border document that will take 5 mins to complete. That's a charge rate of $2400 per hour!

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We discussed it previously, USPS would not ship the package because it was to big. I told him they wouldnt ship it before I sent it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well sucks to be that guy then, I imagine this is his first imported bass. I, like many Canadians, learned the hard way.

Mind if I ask what the bass was and value? The receiver is going to end up paying over $200 CDN to actually get that thing into the door assuming the bass is $250(ish).

I hope the guy takes it, I have heard horror stories from some Yanks who ship something UPS or Fedex to a Canuck only to have them refuse it since the cost is so high, then the seller has to foot the bill for nothing. That is BS if you ask me, as a person agrees to any BS charges when they say ship it, I always pay the stupid charges.

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We valued it at $200. Its a American Standard Jazz so its not his first disco. But it seems your missing the point of the tread which is seeing USPS WILL NOT ship a bass because they are to long what is the best way to do it. If it wasnt in a HSC I would have pulled the neck and shipped it USPS.. That wasnt an option.

And again, I told him before it shipped that I would most likely not beable to go USPS

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

A few months back I got tagged for $150+ brokerage fee on a bass shipped from Canada to me in the US. IIRC, the carrier was UPS.

Seems that the fee applies in both directions.

(Not complaining about the transaction! I love the bass, and the seller was a great guy to deal with. Just wanted to note that the extra charge isn't just for US to Canada shipping.)

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    This was a trade so their could be fees coming in both direction. Not concerned on my end seeing Im getting something Ive been looking for and I feel he's happy with what he's getting. No one has yet to answer my question though. Just a lot of people who feel Im screwing the guy on the other end. Maybe I just wont ship to Canada anymore.

10. DiabolusInMusic

USPS has brought me basses before and I did not do any assembly, they were full sized basses (they gave them to Canada Post technically). I have never shipped with them so I do not know if they will refuse anything based on size or not, it just seems odd they would ship this domestically but not internationally.

Canadians will always prefer USPS ten times out of ten.

EDIT Since you posted: I never once said you were screwing the guy, UPS is, it is hardly your fault they add BS charges. And yes, as I said any international shipping will incur charges, it works both ways.

11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Its odd because I have shipped basses USPS a few time, I received basses USPS but the last few times I tried I was told it was too big and others here have had the same issue.

To make it more confusing, the bass Im receiving went Canada Post and will be delivered to me USPS.

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    sounded like it to me, but no worries. Im trying to keep from screwing people in the future.

13. StevieMac

StevieMac

I had a bass shipped to me from Japan to Canada via DHL and the brokerage charge was very reasonable although I can't recall the exact amount. Only took two business days from Japan to my office too!

14. DiabolusInMusic

Sorry to come of as rude but you need to add the second half of that quote, I would be pissed if it came UPS because I would have made it clear to ship USPS. I have had sellers state they only use USPS in their ebay ads only to ship an item UPS and then get indignant about you being obligated to pay any incurred shipping charges. Thankfully is was only on my Turtle Beach headphones so it only added another $25 but it was still a major piss off as I was under the impression the item was coming USPS.

15. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I thought I gave some answers in my reply. DHL or Fed Ex are my preferred method if USPS can't do it. Even Purolator is acceptable. Pretty much any courier OTHER than UPS.