1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monroe55, Dec 15, 2012.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Can anyone tell me where I can get a box to use to ship my bass? I want to sell it, on TB hopefully, but Im not sure how to go about packaging it safely. I'll be shipping it in its hard shell case but will need to enclose it in a cardboard box of some kind. Thanks.
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I've done some dumpster diving behind Guitar Center plenty of times I have gone in and asked them if they have any boxes laying around this is an excellent time of year to find them. If that comes up short I go to the big businesses around my area and dumpster dive too. It's nice when they have separate dumpsters for cardboard so it's clean. I know where this sign place is they have huge pieces and you can make one out of that with a little customizing. I have shipped a few basses in modified screen door boxes from Lowes as well.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

I go to dumpsters behind Rent A Center type places and get a 45" or 47" flat screen TV box. Of course, I have to cut it down to size. They are really nice boxes because they are double thickness cardboard. Also, usually the syrofoam packing and stuff comes in handy too.

Yep, flat screen TV boxes work great for shipping basses.
  4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

The Trick is to BUY one first, then re-use that box!

Also, while it's kind of expensive, you can buy a 54" X 20" X 8" box from The UPS Store, or where ever. It's $15 - $20 for the box, but it will let you pack and ship safely.

Some tips I would offer:

Pack the INSIDE of the Case Best! Wrap the neck in a piece of Bubble Wrap and fill any space that will allow the bass to move at all inside the case. You should have to use a little Force to close the case to squeeze the Bubble Wrap inside. Now shake the case Vigorously. Is there any movement? If so find where it is moving and pack some more "Stuff" in there!

Place a layer of Bubble Wrap in the bottom of the box, and set the case in standing up. I like to add something Solid, like StyroFoam, between the box and the case sides to restrict movement. But a Roll of Bubble Wrap works well. First pour in enough "Peanuts" to fill the box about 1/2 way. Then add your Foam/BW Rolls to keep the case centered, and then Top her off! I like to add another layer of Bubble Wrap on top to keep the peanuts in the box.

Tape it Shut with a single piece of tape and Shake Vigorously! Is there any movement? If so get rid of it! Once it is in there Solidly, Tape it shut Really Well!

I also place "UP" with Arrows stickers on all 4 sides, LOTS of RED "FRAGILE" stickers, and "HIGH VALUE" stickers on all 6 sides. I print them using WORD, and just tape them on.

Also, IF something happens to the package during shipment, UPS, FEDEX, USPS, DHL, etc... will ALL deny your claim. Do Not Give Up! I have never had an appeal denied. They are just trying to keep costs down, and it's Business. After you get the box back figure out how THEY damaged your package and present the facts to them calmy and clearly and they will settle up with you!

BTW, shipping in a Gig Bag is a LOT Easier!
  5. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Go to your local bicycle store. It they are anything like the shop I work at, they have at least 10 boxes a day that are available. You will have to cut it to fit, but the boxes are strong and durable.

Ken R
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use U-Haul boxes for everything - basses, cabs, amps .....
  7. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

The basses I've sold and shipped here were all bolt-ons. Since most guys will set up a bass that's new to them in a way they see fit, I usually take the neck off, bubble wrap it, then do the same for the body. It's pretty simple on both ends. It also makes it fit into a smaller box, which cuts down on the cost of shipping.

All of the buyers have been very satisfied with the sale...so far
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 and very good advice I retired from UPS and I'm still amazed how little people wrap things.
  9. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

This is where I've had the best luck on numerous occasions.
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

If you're selling a bass that has a case or a decent bag, this won't work. And, to be honest, I'd be pretty pissed if a seller disassembled a bass just to save a few bucks on shipping.
  11. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

You're right. If the bass has a case, that's much better protection, and there wouldn't be a need to unbolt the neck. I should have also mentioned that I always check with the buyer to see if it's ok to do so. Surprises are not good.

That said, I believe that I can better pack the neck+body, than the bass as a whole. I also agree with a previous post about adding packing material to eliminate void spaces, that would allow for movement.
  12. mjac28

You are right about asking first I got a vintage bass and the neck and body had been separated by the seller I almost had a heart attack seeing the neck lying there he used a full sized box and that's what threw me off digging thru peanuts and grabbing a neck is not fun.
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Location?

If dumpster diving make sure you get a shipping box and not a freight box. Big difference...
  14. mjac28

Whenever you get a bass shipped to you it's always hold your breath time until you open that case and see what's doing.
  15. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Shipments at Guitar Center usually come in around noon time. Ask them if they have anything coming in they're pulling out of box before they throw boxes away.

If you're going to be buying & selling, it's always a good idea to keep a couple extra boxes in your basement if you have the space for it.
  16. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I asked the Good People at Guitar Center about a box once. They went to the Dumpster, pulled it out and tried to charge me $15 for it! I left, came back half hour later and pulled probably the same box from the Dumpster!
  17. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

That's usually where I get mine from. Guitar Center will give you a box or boxes with no problem or any other music store.
  18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

FedEx, shipped a Godin A4 this summer with no issues.
  19. Brent Hahn

Brent Hahn

Yep!
  20. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    ya know!!! What's up with that. That person probably was just pocketing the cash anyway.