1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shipping a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P33v3, Dec 2, 2013.

1. P33v3

P33v3

Is it acceptable to ship it inside of the Hard case it came with? For instance my 60th anniversary P-Bass which I may list soon.

I've never sold a guitar online before.

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Previously ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Supporting Member

I say no. I usually put the bass in the case and the case in a guitar box. Actually I am shipping one this morning like that!

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my g&l sb-2 was shipped in the hard case and it was fine

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Yes. I sold my 73P and shipped it to Texas, where all the good classic Fenders end up.

I ended up packing it carefully INSIDE the case (wrapping the neck, a layer of small bubble wrap around the body of the instrument, 'pads' of packing materials at the top of the headstock, base of the body, and along the sides, so that drop impacts from any side would be absorbed. Next I put a layer of cardboard along the outside of the case, then double bubble wrapped that too. From there it went in a large bass shipping box, which I filled top and bottom with thick styro cut to fit, and any space left in the box got a lot of packing peanuts. Then taped, retaped and taped again at all the edges corners and flaps.

Made it fine. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

bass inside the case, case inside a cardboard box, put some bubble wrap or other type of protection between the the bottom and top of the box and the case.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

This is my preferred method, and thankfully, I have never had a problem.

8. BurningSkies

Some people underestimate how important that tape can be too. Its not just to keep things shut, it's there so that if the box loses 'structural integrity' anywhere along the body of it, you've got something holding it together and also holding stuff inside.

My wife (then fiance) commented on my structured, anally retentive, detail oriented packing procedure with some amazement. Although when you're shipping a vintage bass worth a few grand...do it f'ing right.

9. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

That's what I'll be dong this afternoon, but I've yet to find a shipping box.

10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Go to guitar center. They might have one for free. (Did for me).

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

My wife comments on my "over taping" all the time. She thinks it's ridiculous.

12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Don't forget to loosen the strings before shipping. I usually put something in the case with the bass (bubble wrap or some other type of padding) so that it won't budge inside said case when it's getting knocked around during shipping. Then, something like crunched up paper bags, or bubble wrap in the bottom of the box, and on top of the case once it's in the box (making sure everything is tight). As stated in previous responses, there's no such thing as too much tape.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my highway one pbass came in a fender box zipped inside the gib bag and there were chunks of foam with reservoirs taped to the inside top and bottom of the box, it was in tune and undamaged when it arrived, but the action was medium and the pickup was raised too high in the middle

14. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

There are lots of pretty good and specific instructions on line.
    A quick Google search will do the trick. If I recall shipping in a case alone is generally not a good practice according to their guidance.

15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Also, don't forget to slacken the strings all the way before packing it. Otherwise, the carrier's insurance provider may not pay a damage claim. (don't ask me how I know)

16. BurningSkies

I know that all the carriers request loosened strings, but I've always shipped to pitch and every bass I've bought has come tuned to pitch. I've heard arguments in both directions, but I'll continue to follow the lead of the luthiers that I know and respect the most.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Only loosen the strings IF you're also going to loosen the truss rod as well.
    Otherwise the bass will be travelling for a week thru different climates with a backbow because the truss is pulling back on it.
    I never ship 'em with strings loosened, and the shipping companies have never asked me to.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Same here.

19. Templar

Actually, they don't 'request' it, they insist that the strings be slackened, or their insurance provider may not have to pay for damage to the instrument, no matter how many boxes it's in, or how well it's otherwise been packed.

This is especially true if the outer box still looks fairly undamaged, but the bass itself has been damaged from impact. You're better off if the package is demolished. That way, they have no excuse not to pay the claim.

With strings tuned to pitch the headstock is susceptible to breakage. It bears the full tension of all the strings, sans any help from the trussrod to counteract that tension. One good impact can crack/break the headstock, but leave the shipping box unscathed.

I learned this the hard way, and fought with UPS for months to no avail. The strings were tuned to pitch, the bass was in it's G&G hardcase, the headstock nicely supported with bubble wrap, great packing job, inside a U-line guitar shipping box. UPS managed to crack the headstock and the neck without crushing the U-line box. I ate the damage, learned the lesson. This will not happen to me again.

20. Templar

Next time you go to UPS, ask about it. Specifically about loosened strings and neck damage, vis a vis the insurance coverage. Disregarding their packing requirements exposes you to non-payment in the event of damage during shipping. If they withhold this info from you they're doing you a diservice.

On the bright side, it's a small risk. But it does happen. Feel lucky?

21. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

If the headstock breaks how are they gonna know if you loosened them in the first place?

I see a way around this .

May require lying, but it's there.

Not saying I would do it , just pointing it out.