Shipping an 8x10 from USA to AUS, Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Weirdo, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Weirdo

Weirdo

Hey all,

Looking at buying an Ampeg 8x10 from the states, as everything here in Australia is stupidly over priced. Sure, i'm for supporting the local, but not when they charge twice the amount i can get it for in America.

So, I was thinking, How much would freight be for moving an 8x10 Cabinet from America to Australia? Roughly.
    I'm aware that cabinets in west america will be less freight than east, But just looking for an average.
    Also, anyone who's moved an 8x10 from one side of the states to the other's input is welcome aswell.

Cheers,

Jackson
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I doubt it would be less than $400. Probably more.
  3. Weirdo

Weirdo

The average price for used 8x10's looks like the $450 mark.
    Here in australia the average used price is the $1600 mark... You see my reasoning, haha
  4. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

I sent an Ampeg 8x10 from Yokohama, Japan to Toronto, Canada. The advantage of shipping via sea freight is weight is irrelevant -- the cost is calculated on volume. The total cost was approximately CDN$2500, and the cabinet accounted for slightly less than ten percent of the overall volume.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why not contact some shipping companies and find out for yourself?
  7. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it have been cheaper to sell the cab in Japan and buy a new one in Canada? (And keep a kick ass cab in Japan where it must be highly valued?)
  8. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    Probably in the $800 range. 180lbs to AUS I just quoted was 1k. Shipping across the US by common carrier if you're good 130 bucks. FedEx around the same.