Shipping bass to Europe..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cuatro_cuerdas, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Hi folks,

I am about to buy a Fender precision American Vintage reissue 57 :hyper:, but I have a little problem, I live in Norway and the bass is in Houston Texas, I have a good friend in Houston who is going to send me my new baby, and I need to find out how can I send this bass to Norway without breaking the bank.

So, What is the shippest and most secure way to ship my new bass to Norway?

Can the wisdom of talkbass help me out with this one?

Cheers.

2. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't be that expensive. I'm in norway too (morn du), and I've bought a couple of basses from japan and I paid around 800nkr for shipping. Can't see why shipping from the states should be more expensive. Think it was FedEx?

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

First check the CITEs treaty to make sure you can.

Next check out the PO and UPS. For whatever reason they tend to classify bass shipments as being extra large.

Yes size does matter. Especially when shipping a bass. It might cost twice as much to ship bass like yours compared to a Les Paul.

But you might end up saving a grand over the cost of buying the bass in Norway.

You can save by breaking the bass down but I do not recommend that since you loose the case and end up taking a hit at sales time. Bit the bullet and do it right.

Don't try to scam customs as to the value of the bass. The last thing you want to to try to recover 2 grand from the lost bass you declared to be worth 2 hundred.

Keep in mind that this bass will likely last the rest of your life and maybe even your grand kids.

4. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    From USA to Norway (I live in Oslo), I've always used UPS. Expensive and they will send you an invoice for taxes later, just when you have forgotten about it, but the instruments arrived in one piece, and were fully insured in case of disaster.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Morn morn!:), thanks for your quick reply. yes you are right, it shouldn't be that expensive so I will check FedEx..

7. kakuk_marci

kakuk_marci

I brought a bass from the US to Europe on the airplane by unscrewing the neck. I carried the body in the backpack and the neck in my hand onboard. I understand you are not travelling yourself, but maybe it is not a sin to do this if the bass is transported as a parcel. It is a much smaller pack and less exposed to damage. Just my 2c.

8. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Thanks for all the good advice everybody. My brother in law who lives now in Houston is going to bring the bass to me in his next visit to Norway (which is in mars).
    I can barely wait to put my hands on this bass!
    Cheers.