Shipping Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyRoBass, Mar 20, 2014.

1. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...

I’m going to be putting a bass up on TB in the next six weeks or so. (It’s an American MTD 635-24. Ash body/neck, walnut burl top, birdseye maple fingerboard, matching peg head and MTD “world” logo. Keep an eye out for it!) I’ve never shipped a bass before. Obviously I’ll be sending it in a hardshell case, should it sell.

Can someone experienced give me the run down of how this procedure goes? I.E. what packaging do I need to do myself vs. what’s handled by the carrier, what kind of shipping insurance I should put on it, Fedex vs. UPS, ect. Ect.

Thanks!

2. Daveydude

Daveydude Supporting Member

It's easy. Get yourself a box big enough to accomodate the case. Use packing material so the case won't flop around in the box. I usually detune the strings enough to take stress off the neck for shipping. Take package to shipping company. You can insure for any value you wish. I also usually ask the recipient if they want a signature required delivery or not. Your probably looking at 55 to 65 bucks shipped. I always use FedEx.....never had an issue with them. Hope this helps.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

See if you can find a box that a music store is throwing out.
    That will save some dough. Pack it well, detune strings a bit.
    I sent a bass to Wisconsin, FedEx for $50 from the Boston area.

4. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Toss in your $20 and make it official.

5. Register to disable this ad