1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shipping Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyRoBass, Mar 20, 2014.

1. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Sep 28, 2013
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...

I’m going to be putting a bass up on TB in the next six weeks or so. (It’s an American MTD 635-24. Ash body/neck, walnut burl top, birdseye maple fingerboard, matching peg head and MTD “world” logo. Keep an eye out for it!) I’ve never shipped a bass before. Obviously I’ll be sending it in a hardshell case, should it sell.

Can someone experienced give me the run down of how this procedure goes? I.E. what packaging do I need to do myself vs. what’s handled by the carrier, what kind of shipping insurance I should put on it, Fedex vs. UPS, ect. Ect.

Thanks!

2. It's easy. Get yourself a box big enough to accomodate the case. Use packing material so the case won't flop around in the box. I usually detune the strings enough to take stress off the neck for shipping. Take package to shipping company. You can insure for any value you wish. I also usually ask the recipient if they want a signature required delivery or not. Your probably looking at 55 to 65 bucks shipped. I always use FedEx.....never had an issue with them. Hope this helps.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    See if you can find a box that a music store is throwing out.
    That will save some dough. Pack it well, detune strings a bit.
    I sent a bass to Wisconsin, FedEx for $50 from the Boston area.

5. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Toss in your $20 and make it official.