Shipping discrepancy- who's right and who's wrong?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by nukes_da_bass, Feb 4, 2013.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Ok...
    So far I have had good experiences buying, selling, and trading on TB.

I bought a "thing" recently. PMed him my shipping address.
    He instead shipped to my PayPal address (I have two) and the one he shipped to is out of date...
    Hostile ex landlord, I scoped the premises and either
    1) ex landlord confiscated the box or threw it away or
    2) item is locked in a hallway I no longer have access to.
    Seller should have shipped to the address I provided by PM.
    Am I wrong, or is he wrong?
    Getting popcorn (it was a short money transaction but it's still money).
  2. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

Only way he is protected via PayPal is by shipping to the address on the PayPal account. I won't ship to any address other than the address of the PayPal account for that reason. Way too many scammers out there. It's relatively easy to get access to someone's PayPal account, a lot harder to get access to their shipping address.

I assume that you have changed the address on the old PayPal account by now?
  3. nukes_da_bass

Wasn't a question of protection. I have lost my item and my money. I did not ask for my money back,
    It's a philosophical question of honor. The seller apparently has none.
    I have asked dozens of online sellers to ship to my business address- he ignored my request entirely.
  4. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

On TB if someone asks me to ship to an address I will DEPENDING on their feedback. Otherwise I ship to their PP addy. That is the only way he is protected, granted he could have told you know he didn't feel comfortable. Maybe he never saw your request?. But it isn't the sellers fault you never updated your address. If I had a hostile relationship with my ex-landlord I would make sure nothing ever ever ever went to that addy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carl h.

carl h.

You are paying for not updating your paypal.

This one is on you alone.
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

sorry,...BUT you're "cHoPpEd 'N sCrEwEd"!:(
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Exactly.

The only way the seller is protected is by shipping to the verified Paypal shipping address. Period.

It would have been nice for the seller to wait until you could change your address in Paypal. But, that's it. The only way he could ship to the bad address is because you still had it as an option on your Paypal account. If it wasn't valid, it shouldn't have been there. It takes about 2 minutes to update that info.

It's up to you to get the stuff from your former landlord. If he has your item and won't give it to you, it's theft and you need to take it up with the police. Seriously.

Why would you leave an address for a place with a "hostile ex-landlord" on your account for "dozens of transactions?"

Honor has nothing to do with it. YOU screwed up. Just because 29 people in a row do something doesn't make #30 wrong for playing by the rules of Paypal when that's the method of payment used. Sending a MO? You include the address to ship to. Personal Check? Same thing. Paypal? Verified Paypal address. No bad address, no bad shipping.
  9. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I would say that the seller is 100% in the right unless prior to the sale the seller agreed to ship to your other address. You need to update your PayPal info.
  10. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

I would also side with the seller on this.
    If you pay by PayPal, they have every right to ship to the verified paypal address.
    You need to clarify and agree on the details before you hit the Pay button.
    Sorry you lost your stuff but you can't blame that on the seller, IMO.
  11. nukes_da_bass

Noted- I will never buy from any of you either. Not a world of nice guys anymore- everyone out for themselves.
  12. nukes_da_bass

My feedback is at least 5 transactions at 100%. You guys all did me a favor though, you verified that humans basically fail as a species!
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Paypal only covers the seller if he ships to the verified address. I am on his side. Your comments above do not reflect credit on you - insulting others when they have responded honestly is a sign of poor judgment and immaturity.

FACT: You are responsible for keeping your records up to date, and you missed it.

I do understand that you sent a PM with a different address, but that leaves the seller unsecured if he uses it. Frankly, I probably would not have used the address you sent unless I had emailed back to you and confirmed that you wanted it - and I probably would have requested you to update your verified address so that I was covered. In addition, you may not have considered that many sellers are dealing with multiple orders from multiple buyers - it's VERY easy to lose track of a PM...so it's not a great idea to depend on it. If in doubt, and too busy to engage in email conversation about an address, I'd ship to the verified address.

No question - this is primarily your fault. I suggest you contact the seller and see if he can get any help from Paypal since the shipment was evidently "stolen or missing" and it was indeed sent to the verified address. You might salvage something out of this - if you're nice to the seller and don't piss him off.
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Might as well add me to your blacklist while you're at it.

Problem #1, you did not have your correct up-to-date info on Paypal at the time of the transaction. Not the seller's fault.

Problem #2, you don't get along with your ex-landlord, and don't have the guts to come to him and ask for your package. Also not the seller's fault.

Now be a grownup, accept your responsibility, and learn from your mistake.
  15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

No. If your Paypal verified shipping address was no longer valid, you should have updated that address, rather than asking your seller to risk shipping to an unverified address. You were the one in the wrong.

You are WAY, WAY out of line with these comments. You asked for opinions. Don't attack the people who have been gracious enough to answer your question just because you don't like the answer they give.
  16. nukes_da_bass

So if I ask for opinions, I'm not entitled to have counter opinions? That's counter democracy. Unless of course you're a moderator and can suspend me but otherwise I feel I am free to make comments.
    I fully realize I have no legal recourse. I fully realize I was stupid. However, in my opinion is it would've been nice if the seller had looked at the private message in the first place and said either yes I can do that or actually no way I could do that and which point-I could have canceled the PayPal transaction realizing I had recently moved and I was in the process of making a mistake. I believe he also could've apologized for not having read that message of course he was legally right and of course I'm entitled to my opinion don't be ridiculous!
    I guess you folks don't understand politeness. Maybe I should of voiced my question in a more articulate manner. I was never looking for legal recourse. I realized from the second this happens that I was SOL.
  17. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Please don't.
  18. carl h.

carl h.

ya think?
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Yep. Fail at taking responsibility for updating your Paypal address. It took me two minutes when I moved. No chance of anything shipped to my old address in a different city.

Can you explain why the seller should eat any money for your failing? I'm way more liberal than most, but I don't see how this is any kind of shared burden here. Anything out of the ordinary that you needed to say, you should have said in the Paypal comments. But, you should have updated your Paypal address before that rendering the comment moot. What exactly is the seller supposed to do here? What would be the polite thing? What would make the seller "nice" here? Obviously not doing or saying what you wanted equals a "failure of human beings as a species." So, why would the seller bother responding to you? You're prone to hyperbole and you want an answer other than, "you screwed up." I can only imagine the emails you sent to the seller about how HE made a mistake based on your comments here.

But, yeah--don't bother replying to any of my for sale ads. I can live with that.
  20. nukes_da_bass

Eat money? No I dont think the seller should either- I have stated that at least four times.

The whole point of my post was not financial or legal at all.
    I was disappointed that the seller didnt read or respond to my PM.
    My points are lost on this crowd. You people truly only care about money! There are other, finer points to being human. Things that 18th century philosophers used to expound upon.

All I wanted was the guy to be nice about the whole thing- but like this crowd, all he crowed about was liability and money- which of course I never asked for and am not entitled to.

There is more to life than liability and money. I will pray for you folk to have epiphanies regarding such.
  21. carl h.

carl h.

You are missing the point of all the posts here - your responsibility to update your info is the key here.