1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shipping from Canada to USA, customs question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 8, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    So I'm getting a bass shipped here (Cleveland, OH) from Montreal, QC, via UPS. But I'm not sure how:

a) Customs gets charged/paid for
    b) Customs value and insurance value should match or not

Basically, I'm clueless on Int'l shipping INTO the US. I've shipped OUT many times, but never in. And out was USPS and it was easy enough, just had to fill out customs form.

Can anyone shed some light for me? All help is very much appreciated.
  2. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Basically the same going the other way. However using UPS basically guarantees you will be paying ALL applicable taxes/duty and "brokerage fees" based on the declared value.

If they were to ship it via Canada Post......USPS would take over the shipping responsibilities once it have clear the boarder/customs. Not all packages are inspected and taxed this way.

For me, having ordered lots of gear from the States i only get "hit" about 1 in 4 (25%) using USPS--->Canada Post.

Hope this helps
  3. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The guy is shipping UPS. I found this on the UPS webpage.
    Does that mean I'll owe $25.25 when the bass arrives or do they bill me or what?
    And what other taxes/duties would I incur?
  4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

UPS in particular, and couriers in general, are borderline criminal when it comes to the "brokerage fees" and other charges that they levy on shipments - at least when things are coming into Canada. Unless there is any particular reason that you need to go with UPS or a courier, I would strongly suggest and recommend regular mail - USPS and Canada Post. They have never let me down; at worst, they are a little slow.

It has been covered in other threads that you can search, but you cannot insure a bass for more than its value. Technically, to under-declare the value of the bass (or any other item) being shipped in an effort to avoid costs such as taxes or duties, you are committing customs fraud - do so at your own risk.

All that said, I've sent and received many items (both through TB and in other aspects of life) between Canada and the US, and it is very simple and straightforward. It never ceases to amaze me how adamant some people are about things like "CONUS only", because it really doesn't entail much more to ship between countries. For example, the last three items I received from the US cost the shipper less than $5 more than it would have to ship it within the "CONUS", and the same holds true for the last two items that I shipped to the US.

Hopefully the process goes smoothly for you - and don't worry, it usually does.
  5. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

It's not worth messing around with a difference between declared and insured value. If it's damaged or lost that $50 you saved won't seem worth it. Where was the bass made? If it's US built you may pay local taxes but you won't pay duty. If you're gonna BS about anything listing it as made in the US is safer and more lucrative.

It's the truth that UPS will hose you on brokerage if you let them. The best price you'll get is to pick it up at the airport and do your own brokerage. It's not hard just time consuming....not something you can typically do on a lunch break.
  6. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    It's a Status Graphite, so it's made in England.

I think it's out of my hands at this point, but from what I was able to google, if it was listed as "Parts" (as in, "it's not working and is basically just parts"), it's taxed at a lower rate (2.7% vs 5%).
    The value could still be whatever the total is, but the rate would save money.

We'll see how it goes, I'll let people know when it arrives.
  7. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    When UPS showed up, the total of the brokerage fees, taxes, duty, whatever...
    $122.32

They didn't have a breakdown of the fees included with it, so maybe they just make it up as they go along :D
  8. murphy

murphy

I end up giving the UPS driver an earful.
    Not his fault though!