1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shipping insurance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Ok, so I am selling a VERY EXPENSIVE bass and for certain it is going to have to shipped. The most that most of the carriers will cover is something like $500. So that is not going to work for my peace of mind (what's left of it anyway).

Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

I have shipped a $6600 bass before but it was all on the west coast so I took a chance. But I was a nervous wreck until it was delivered. I probably aged 2 years in those 2 days with FedEx.

2. younggun

younggun

What shipper are you using? Every bass I've ever shipped was insured for its full value, from $1500 to $4000. Never had any problem having it covered for the full amount.

3. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304 Supporting Member

Go to UPS I had a guitar insured for $8000.

4. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

+1

I shipped a tuba that was around that value with UPS. It may take a day or two longer for a high dollar item since they have a policy of hand walking those items personally into a lockup section, but frankly I appreciated the extra service.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Have the shipper pack your bass at one of their locations. In the event of a claim, it can eliminate a pissing match about whether the damage was due to bad packing. It'll cost $20-30 more, but it's worth it.

7. Jerry J

Do you recall how much extra you had to pay for that much coverage?

8. Jerry J

I haven't decided yet but I've always had my best luck with FedEx and the USPS recently.

It's been several years since I shipped my other Fodera but at that time I recall that they maxxed out at $5000 value which didn't fully cover that bass or the one that I'm selling.

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

+1

Yep, and if there is a pissing match...guess who will win?

10. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Gold Supporting Member

I shipped a Pedulla MVP from Wyoming to Pedulla in Massachusetts for some work.

Packed (the Box Shop), shipped (FedEx) and insured for $5000 for $180 total. Slept like a baby

11. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304 Supporting Member

I don't remember the exact amount but it was less than $100. I had it restored and they sent it back through fedex for $74. They valued it for at least $12000 when they shipped it back so it's not to expensive. That was a year and a half a go so the prices may have changed slightly. Let them do everything and take pictures through the process no matter how upset they may get. This may be different for you but every time I shipped an instrument and they insured it UPS wouldn't ship the instrument in the case. They would put the case in the same box but they packed every thing great. No employee wants to lose their company a few thousand because they packed something poorly. Also I've always had to bring my own box to ship it in that cuts the price because apparently large cardboard boxes are worth their weight in gold at UPS. Your local music store should have plenty just make sure you can fit the instrument and the case in there separately. Don't forget to loosen the strings as well.