Shipping Only to 48 states. Information

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by JoseNeville, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JoseNeville

JoseNeville

Hi:

I am very disappoint with this practice without getting the complete information. I understand that sending a bass or a amplifier outside the CONUS USA is more expensive, for example my country Puerto Rico. But, sending, pedals, pickguards and other accessories it is not much more expensive. In fact you can buy a priority box for the same price. If safety is a concern ask for a paypal transaction. I'm having the same problem over and over. I offer to pay the shipping differences if there any. We use the same postal services and I always received the same answer. I can not force anyone to sell me, I understand that,but many are losing possible customer.

2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    The problem is that everyone expects free shipping to be included in the price of an item on Talk Bass. So I usually factor in $6-7 for a pedal and try to make my posts and bumps maximize the probability that someone on the East Coast will buy the item. If all items were price + shipping, more people would be open to selling outside the 48.

3. JoseNeville

JoseNeville

I offer to pay the differences and they turn me down. I pay with paypal to make secure the transaction.

4. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Probably percieved hassle of shipping. I don't know how you can get around that. If I were to recieve an IM from you stating that shipping is no more of a hassle than shipping to anywhere else in the United States, I think that I would think that it sounds like a scam. Basically anything out of the ordinary sounds like a scam any more. Unfortunately I don't have a solid solution for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. avvie

avvie

Shipping to Hawaii via USPS is exactly the same as shipping to the other side of town. Priority mail travels via commercial passenger jet...and boy do we get a lot of commercial passenger jets.

7. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    For flatrate, yes, but shipping to HI from MD definitely costs more than shipping to VA from MD.

8. elgecko

elgecko

You also have to factor in the customs paperwork you need to do to ship to other countries...Puerto Rico a U.S. territory so I'm not sure if that applies.

9. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    No customs paperwork for Puerto Rico, I belive.

10. JoseNeville

JoseNeville

Whatever apply in Shipping to Hawaii is the same in Puerto Rico.
    I don't think you expect a Scam for someone how is paying in advance with paypal.

11. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Actually, what would change things for me is if you offered to pay for a flatrate box. I know that there are no hidden costs when I go to the post office and remind the person that there is no paperwork involved with shipping to Puerto Rico. That probably doesn't work for you for cheaper items, but at the same time, extra hassle isn't usually worth it for the seller for cheaper items.

12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I'm not sure what its like in the US (although it doesn't seem to be too bad when items arrive on my end), but the "extra paperwork" to ship from Canada to the US consists of a sticker that goes onto the item where I have to write what is in the box (e.g. "instrument pedal"), and a rough estimate of the value (e.g. "$100"). That's it. Not exactly arduous.

13. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    It's probably only ten minutes worth of paperwork to fill out, but for me the main issues are:

1) I have to go to the post office in person instead of dropping off at night.

2) The whole customs "fear". If the item gets held up and the buyer files a PayPal claim, I'm screwed.

3) Some parts of the world are well known for fraud. It's easier to just say "No" to all international shipping than telling someone from China that I don't ship there.

I say CONUS only in most of my listings, but if a Canadian will pay the extra shipping, I'll ship there any day.

14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Fair enough, those are all reasonable points.

I can only speak for myself as opposed to all Canadians, but the seller/shipper shouldn't get blamed (i.e. Paypal claim) if Customs is the one holding things up. Sure, I've had pedals take as long as 3 weeks to come up here (and others come in 3 days), but I've never for a moment considered making a claim.

Its always good to hear there are people out there who will ship to Canada and be reasonable about it. Thanks for being one of them!

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Honestly, the form I had to fill out to send an item to the US was just as long as the form needed to ship something across the country. Didn't cost me any more than shipping across the country, either.

I think the laziness & fear excuses are poor & people need to be more open.
    I'm currently selling a bass in the classifieds & I have no qualms with shipping to the US or Canada. Now, overseas will need to pay shipping differences but that's still not limiting who I will ship to.

16. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    You're entitled to your opinion. I've shipped a lot of things to the US and quite a few internationally. Shipping to the US takes about a minute per package and there are no customs hang ups. Shipping internationally takes about fifteen minutes, I have to wait in line and I've had several occasions were shipping was considerably higher than I anticipated. It's not worth the extra hassle.

17. awilkie84

awilkie84

I've sent/received things with other members in the US & haven't ever been charged duty or brokerage fees. Sure, we used Canada Post & USPS, but the rates were good & the tracking was good enough, too. We even shipped non-North American items.

18. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I guess the issue really is that if I ship to, say, New Jersey I know that there will be zero issues with customs, brokerage fees, etc. Since the seller assumes all risks in shipping I want to minimize my risks. Plus there are no shortage of buyers in the US. That's why everyone puts "CONUS only" in their posts.