1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shipping Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pica, Dec 1, 2013.

1. pica

pica

What should I do if UPS leaves a bass outside my house all day in the cold. Chances are I will not be home when it arrives. Will that crack the paint or finish or damage the neck?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

That's why I have basses shipped to me at work. Is it already in transit? Can you have it rerouted to a local ups facility?

The cold probably isn't great for it, but it's extreme swings in humidity that can do damage.

Maybe have a neighbor you trust hold it for you?
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Shouldn't if it's a modern polyurethane or polyester finish. Maybe if it's an older finish.

Just make sure you acclimate it slowly back up to room temperature. i.e. Keep it in the case for a day for it to warm up slowly.

Look into UPS My Choice, you can have it held by a UPS facility for you to pick it up, or have it re-routed to your office.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Modern paints aren't too likely to crack and the neck may need a bit of an adjustment at worst.

If it does happen, the most important thing to do is let it acclimatise slowly. Don't take it into and open the box in front of the fire. Bring it it, put it somewhere not to warm within the house and give it a while before opening.
  5. P Town

P Town Guest

Let it acclimate to the warmer temperature inside your house slowly by not unpacking it for a few hours.

It will have passed through different temperature environments during transit. While in air, or large truck transport it will not be in a temperature controlled environment. The last few miles will probably also be in an environment near ambient outside temperature.
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

A) The temperature outside your house will not be significantly colder than the back of an uninsulated, unheated delivery vehicle it has been traveling in.

B) If you don't want your bass left outside for other reasons, contact the shipping company and/or leave a note on your door. Most have a "will call" service for situations exactly like this.
  7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

There are a few options. You could potentially head this off in a number of ways.

-First, get a signature requirement. If the parcel requires a signature, UPS or whatever other carrier won't just leave it on your doorstep.

-Actively engage the carrier with your tracking info. I've actually reached out to UPS and FedEx with my tracking number and requested that they hold the package at their local facility. Then you just go in with your tracking info and an ID and make the pickup.

As for dealing with it being delivered when you aren't home? Definitely let the instrument acclimate in it's case for several hours before unpacking it. A trusted neighbor/friend/relative who can pick it up and store the instrument for you is another option, too
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Won't hurt it. Just bring it into the house and let it sit for an hour before opening it.
  9. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Guess I'd worry more about theft than cold. It's another good reason to have the bass held or delivered to a trusted neighbor.
  10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

+1. Torture I know, but the safe route. Usually the basses I get in the mail are in a box, inside another box. Should be OK IMO, but I'm no expert.
  11. pica

pica

Thank you all for your responses. Great suggestions.
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'm a UPS MyChoice member. I'm in an apartment and I hate having to wait around for them and we've had packages stolen, so there's no way I'm having them leave it. So I use that membership to reroute the package to my UPS Store up the street. It's $40 a year, but worth it.

Though I have a bass coming on Wednesday and it's coming via Fedex. They allow you to reroute for free.