1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shipping to Non- US buyers.

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by BawanaRik, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Anyone got tips on this? Is it worth it or is the risk substantial? Best way? How about Brazil?

2. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

For basses, pack well. I received a beautiful set-mahogany neck Guild from Chromium. I'm in Korea, so sometimes it takes some reassurances. Feedback obviously is always helpful, and go with your gut. If it's a durable pedal, just pack it well, choose a shipping method you're personally comfortable with (even if it costs more, sometimes an insured, signature-verified package is worth it).. I have no experience with Brazil, but I did just ship a Grey Stache to Russia, and I had some worries first.. but it got there in time, safe and sound.

3. lakedmb

lakedmb

I've shipped pedals to the UK and Brazil, so far so good. I've never done anything larger. It's just as easy as shipping something within the US.

I've always used USPS.

4. BawanaRik

I am amazed at how cosmopolitan bass is. This site ignores borders focusing on what needs to get done.

BTW did you see Peppermint Candy?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I shipped a Modulus VJ4 fretless to the UK last year with no problems. I make sure the money from paypal is in my actual bank account before I ship and I verify info with the buyer at all costs. I DO NOT underestimate the value. ever. Sometimes the buyer wants you to do this in order for them to skimp on import duties, but if there was a shipping problem you would be SOL (no, not Sol Rosenber, nor the beer!).

7. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

I'll ship just about anywhere as long as the buyer covers the cost. I've shipped a bass to Moscow and various pedals all over the world with no problems.

8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I've shipped pedals and basses overseas and I think I'm done shipping basses internationally. I've had fairly good luck but there is so much that can go wrong. If something does go wrong, the money is coming out of your PayPal account and going back to the buyer. So you lose a bass and are out the shipping costs.

I've always used USPS for shipping overseas and you have to be careful about the length plus girth measurement. If you're shipping a guitar you can get the measurement under the maximum without having to pay the much higher global shipping rates. So you have to remove the neck and ship in either one box creatively or in two packages which doubles your chance of issues.

My advice would be to not use money orders, but have payment done via PayPal gift. I know that goes against the rules and everything, but it's the only safe way to protect yourself. But have them send $1 as PayPal for merchandise so that you get their verified address. You don't get a verified address with gift payments so someone could be scamming you by using a hacked paypal account. Also, you don't get a verified address from PayPal for some countries.

Chances are good that things will go smoothly. If someone rips you off in the US, it's easier to go after them. If you get ripped off by someone in Romania (just picked a random country) you're not going to jump on a plane to try to get things made right.

So my advice is to go with your gut. Don't ship to someone who is brand new and has no history on the site. Don't accept money orders. Give yourself an out if you find that shipping is going to be way more than you expect. I shipped to Australia once and had to shave off two inches on the package because it would have cost me almost $300 more to ship.

9. BawanaRik

I've noticed that an inch can make a big difference in the shipping. Sometimes more than double.

I've already had problems with Canada. And they're about as US as you can get.

And it costs. I had a buyer who wanted a Super Reverb shipped to Ireland. And it should cost $100 bucks? But I've had the same with US buyers. A 100 pound cab cross country? It's not $10.

10. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

What kind of problems have you had with Canada?

11. Shinyflavors7

Shinyflavors7

+ 1 on the whole make sure you have the money issue. You probably won't have any trouble with TBes international member, but better to be safe than sorry. I just shipped a bass to Russia a couple of weeks ago, and the only tip I have is have them cover shipping because it is costly. It cost me almost $200 to ship a 10lbs spector.

12. bassundergrace

bassundergrace

I recently shipped a lakland 55-94 Deluxe USA bass to Japan via FedEx with no problems.
    1. Buyer used paypal
    2. I made sure he understood the item would not ship until the transfer from paypal to my bank cleared.
    3. Since it was such a high-end item I had it professionally packed and Shipped FedEx insured with required signature to (very important ---->)the address paypal sent with his payment.

Shipping FedEx to Japan insured for $2800 was $468 and change.

13. carlis

carlis

USPS International worked fine several times for me too... from the USA to Asia

14. BawanaRik

Canada. I sent one package to Vancover. I've never had this happen beofre but Canada Mail is trying to deliver, this guy isn't there and wont' go pick it up and I'm out the $40 to ship because these two individuals are engaging in weird behavior.

More recently was an Ebay item. $40 bucks to ship. Ebay and PayPal gouge their 20% off the top INCLUDING 20% of shipping plus currency vig PLUS I had to go get special tape, not the same special tape that's required to ship in the US but ANOTHER SPECIAL tape AND another trip after performing special sealing with the special tape.

And this is Canada. I have a hard enough time believing that we're really that much of a different country that I need to go through custom when going and comeing from Canada. We'ew right next door. If there's any nation that's the same as the US it's Canada.

15. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

As someone living outside the US, I have to say I appreciate people from the US making the extra effort to ship internationally. I don’t know about other countries but Aussies are getting gouged by some of the major manufacturers due to monopoly importers. GC & Musicians Friend can only ship used good to Australia.

For example I’m looking at Squier VM Jazz at the moment. US Retail $275. Aus Retail A$539 (US$565). Even if is say $150 postage, it would work out cheaper for me to pay someone in the US $50 to go down to GC, buy one and ship it to me than to buy one in Australia.

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

This just as easily might have happened shipping to someone in the US.

I'm in the middle of dealing with tracking down why the USPS is saying they delivered something I sent to Brooklyn when the receiver never got it. One incident out of hundreds over the years and now I'm never going to send anything to the USA again? Yeah, right....:rolleyes:

17. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I was once talked into shipping overseas. I can't remember the country for sure, but I Think it was France.

It took several months to get in the guy's hand, all while I worried that we both lost. It eventually arrived.

Never again.

18. BawanaRik

I don't ship hundreds of thisg to Canada. Maybe someday. The same time this was going on I had another deal go south over shipping. AND the guy form Ireland who wanted the Super Reverb shipped for $100."My friends do it all the time". How?

Throw in the recent new rules and regs about the "special tape" required to ship off shore registered so it can be tracked and other site getting 20% of the shipping for their own deep pockets and off shore sales are looking to be a declining area of returns.

If you're off shore and like geting things shipped talk to ebay about NOT clipping 20% out of the seller pocket on shipping.

19. Jeff Bonny

What's this 20% all about? I haven't encountered that yet...I've been out of the ebay loop for a couple of years. Sounds like robbery though. No way around it?

I completely get why people who've had a run of bad luck shipping internationally don't want to do it...at some point it must feel like batting your head against a brick wall. Any of us who live outside the US know that it really is only bad luck though and the vast majority of international shipping goes just fine. With all the private US sellers who refuse to ship outside CONUS (I always wonder what Alaskans and Hawaiians think) it's kinda ironic that the only shipping issues I've had in years of online dealing have been sending items to the US.

20. BawanaRik

Haven't heard about ebay getting a cut of shipping? call them and ask. That's the way you find out. After you lookat you bill and notice even more money being charged.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/New-To-Ebay/Ebay-Charging-On/520274142

21. Jeff Bonny

Meh, not worth getting bent outta shape over. It's easy enough just to blow ebay off. After checking out what they've just done I sure have.

TB pisses me off in a lot of ways but one thing I value pretty highly is that the character of who you do business with is readily available to be checked out. You can tell pretty fast who cares about personal reputation...profile filled out, links to personal websites, posts that show honest character etc. The feedback here is better too because it comes from people who you can also check out. Where I might not be so keen to deal with an ebayer in East Butt****istan I most like wouldn't have a problem dealing with someone with some Talkbass history from the same place.