SHocked and befuddled!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by obimark, Nov 29, 2012.

1. obimark

obimark

I am shocked becuase our band played a gig last night- to a fairly good size room (although not filled) with great PA>
    Our sound was fine, my TH 500 pumped plenty and the PA did the rest.

But the band after us came on, and the bassist had (1) Acoustic B200combo. And it was plenty!! I don't even think he had it cranked at all.
    Granted it was a one guitar band, and the room was fairly empty.
    but they had a good but "fancy" drummer and loud guitar, but I have to give these guys props, one marshall combo amp, and the Acoustic combo.
    This thing had great bottom was slightly shy up high and while I wouldn't trade it for my rig, but at less than 1/4 the cost of my rig, it was not bad at all.
    If the thing wasn't 75 pounds I'd buy one just for the hell of it to play.
    This is shocking to me, because EVERY single time I tried 15inch combos, IME they were never even enough for band practice, let alone a gig.
    Guess the saying of sometimes you get a great value for less $ is true. I still love my tone way better, but man, just scratching my head right now.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

You were probably hearing more of the PA than you realize...

- georgestrings

3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Most of the time when a rig "isn't enough" it has a much to do with where you are in relation to the rig. What I mean is, if you get a 1-15 combo and set it on the ground by your feet, the guy across the room is going to hear it way better than you will. In fact, I would argue that you heard that guy's Acoustic rig better than he did. He was probably thinking "Dang I wish I could hear myself." This is also why I think most guitarists play way too loud. They set a Marshall half-stack at their right knee and wonder why they can't hear themselves while I'm getting my head torn off across the stage.

4. obimark

obimark

Good point- hard to judge fully unless I got up on stage, but he seemed to be able to hear himself but I don't know for sure. This thing did pump WAY more than ie xpected for a 200 watt combo (although watts ratings mean very little).

All I can say is a good PA (That you don't have to haul) makes a big difference.

One other thing, my DNA DNS 112N- Freaking killed!! I put it on top a Bagend 15 and together those two just KILLED!, HEadroom for days, never even got my volume above 5.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

When I first went to upgrade from my practice amp I took my bass to GC and plugged into every combo they had that was under $500 - Ampeg, SWR, Fender, Peavey, etc. I couldn't get the sound that I had in my head to come out of any of them until I got to the B200, and it just so happened that it was one of those times of the year that they were blowing them out for $199. Yea it came home with me. I still haven't managed once to get the clip light to come on. Gear snobs are missing out on an amazing piece of equipment by overlooking this little gem. The bang for the buck is unbeatable. Acoustic just came out with the new line (B200h?) which has an overdrive switch, but I can't say if that one is worth the extra selling price.

7. obimark

obimark

Awesome, how is the weight, is it hard to move being 75 pounds?

8. iualum

iualum

lol...yep...that just about covers it for me :D

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Definitely

10. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Something that a lot of people on here lose sight of is almost (ALMOST) all amps aren't bad today. Thinking back to the 90s there was some real junk out there, but today most amps are actually usable. I am not saying there is not difference between a really great amp and a $300 combo but the difference is smaller today than it has ever been.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I remember playing the 450 version of that combo ( 210's ) at Gc, and it killed everything in the store, as far as combos go. Unfortunately, it also killed my back when I tried to lift it.

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

No doubt a $20 set of casters goes a long way

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Big Pa, decent monitors, low stage volume, band can hear and play together... It has less to do with the gear than having good, team oriented stage mentlaity... I've used my micro rig, Mb200 and 2 very small 1x10's on some pretty large stages. Outside. Worked great, no body out front heard my rig and that totally works for me as the PA was there to do the heavy lifting.

Nice to go home with a light carry and no ringing in the ears too...

Still not excited by the *new* acoustic stuff tonally but I could make it work as a monitor in a pinch.

14. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

To the OP: I think Mr 2-fingers has hit the nail on the head - obviously this can depend on a lot of other things like elevation, floor surface, padding of walls, etc., but it's normally true - I get much better definition if I stand a couple of feet away from my 1x15.

That same 1x15 (120W), incidentally, has managed to make itself heard in a 200(?)-seat theatre amidst the rest of my band, because the PA wasn't up to taking the amps as well. You may be surprised by what can be "enough" sometimes!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Now maybe some of you will finally understand why I use a B-15 on most of my gigs ;)

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Because you mostly play geezer rock at TV volumes???

:bag:

- georgestrings

17. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I've used a 100 watt fender 15 cheap solid state that sounded great with a small three piece. I later picked up a Landmark300 aned an Avatar 2-12, only to be dissapointed. The combo sounded better.

18. rpsands

rpsands

I'd love to see someone try to play one of those with my band. Oh man :p

19. obimark

obimark

Because your band's stage volume is out of control maybe?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why you...!!!

21. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Still waiting for those anti-gravity casters that will lift stuff up into the bed of my 4X4 pickup:meh: