Shooters and Concealed-Carry folks: Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 30, 2013.

Which for regular or occasional carry?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2013.
  1. Hi-Quality 1911

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite TB

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    So, after about 3 months of owning my FN Herstal FNS-9 (a FANTASTIC pistol I have to say) I've come to the conclusion that, although a gun that carries 17 rounds of frangible 9mm is something to definitely keep around for the Zombie Apocalypse, it's time to retire this one from daily carry, and replace it with something a little more reasonable and easy to carry... in my case I've decided on the Springfield XDS-9.

However, I do occasionally open carry, and I like to have at least one very serious .45 for this purpose. The decision to make right now is:

1) Exc Cond used Springfield 1911-TRP

2) Exc Cond used Sig Sauer P220 Elite Dark TB

The advantages of the 1911 are that it's slightly slimmer, there is a proliference of available parts and accessories, and has the sweetest trigger in pistoldom. The disadvantage is that its 12 ounces heavier, almost an inch longer and holds one less round.

The advantages of the Sig are that it's lighter, holds an extra round, simply cannot be made to malfunction in any way no matter what you do to it, and if you'll forgive me, just looks badazz. The disadvantages are that the first shot is DA and has a long trigger pull, is wider all around, even in SA the trigger, while very good, still cant match a 1911 (none can), and parts are slightly less available / affordable.

Bearing in mind the intended purpose; regular carry with a nice SigTac paddle, which would you chose? Why?

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

1911 can't go wrong with something thats changed little in over a hundred years means they got it right the first time.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

New York...open carry?

Anywho, a 1911 is my favorite pistol. A full size is kinda big for carry IMO, but I've done it before.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    While I am a 1911 fan, I'd give serious thought to the SIG. But... I'd probably grab a S&W M&P45 if I were looking for a new full sized .45ACP right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    Hahah I've been in Vermont for a while now... I barely have time to hang out here anymore.... the burdens of the real world after touring in a band for a living ceases!!!

7. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    Meh.... fired about 50 rounds through my buddy's... I've been spoiled by the trigger on my FNH. Pull was just too spongy on the M&P for me, although I hear they vary considerably....

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Can't say I've shot many S&W's (I'm still pretty new to pistols), but Sig's easily had the spongiest triggers out of all the makes and models I've tried. I'd go with the 1911... or a Glock :D

9. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    Hmm.... I think this one in particular must have a kit in that case, this is my first Sig experience, and this trigger is schveeet!!

In either case, you guys have already convinced me to do exactly what I was hoping you would..... it's gonna be the 1911....

as far as Glocks are concerned.... I will never own one and for several reasons.... 1) they are just the ugliest things on earth and 2) there are several entries from SA, FNH and others that match or exceed them in reliability and are more attractively priced apples to apples....

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

While both are very good guns I wouldn't consider either optimal for concealed carry. I would look for an alloy frame 1911 Commander or Glock 36, Springfield XDS.

I carry the Kimber Pro CDP, but Springfield, Ruger among others also make reasonably priced 4" 1911's

As far as the Sig 220 that "can not be made to malfunction in any way", they have had some issues with 10 round magazines and failure to come into battery. And for the record while they are good shooters (I'm considering one myself) they do have more muzzle flip than a 5" 1911. For follow up shots in a .45 you almost can't beat a 1911.

Also if your looking at the Sig you might want to consider the Smith M & P full size, FNH FNX or the Glock 21. They both are all probably better shooters when it comes to accuracy on follow up shots. They aren't perfect, the Smith needs a trigger job, and the 14 round mags fit sloppy, The Glock is a big gun and doesn't fit a lot of hands. And the FNX is almost as big (removable back straps help some), but it has factory 14 round mags (great for Zombies), and can be run DA/SA like the Sig or SA w/ Safety like the 1911.

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the current prices are, but I would also heavily consider an HK45 or an HK USP 45. The HK45 Compact would be exactly what I would want to carry on a regular basis. I have a USP Tactical in .45 and it rivals my Kimber 1911 in accuracy and reliability. It's bigger than a 1911 though and that's why I mentioned the HK45 and USP above. You'd need a thigh rig for EDC on the USP Tactical.

Better than any Glock I've ever shot or owned.

He mentioned open carry...

12. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    Yeah, as posted above I've decided against the Sig. As far as the FNX goes, I have no real need for anything Hi-Cap in .45 and my FNS-9 is pretty much the only hi-cap pistol I'll ever require.... so it looks like the Springfield TRP for me.... or maybe the Remmy R1 Enhanced? ARRGHHH I can't start waffling again!!

The USP is a fantastic pistol, but for something that large, I'd need to see much higher capacity which again brings it into the "no conceivable use" category....I love that FNS.... probably the best striker-fired I have experience with... out of the maybe 20 or 30 I've tried. It also cannot be made to break a sweat even after rapid-fire 50+ rds of some very nasty +P

13. sjeverett

sjeverett

I would have to go with the 1911. I havent got my CHL yet but when I do, I"ll be packing my Officer Model 1911. If weight is an issue, STI out of Round Rock, Tx is now making Poly 1911's. Lightweight twist on a classic pistol.

14. Apart from the "it's my right" argument, can anyone explain to this Brit why are guns so important to people in your country? Do you actually go out picking up your phone, your wallet, your keys ....... and your gun? Here, the Police can consider even a screwdriver and offensive weapon and arrest you. Most of the population here will live their lives never even having seen a gun in the flesh, let alone holding one!

15. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    I'll have to check those out. One VERY big surprise in the 1911 world has been my Taurus PT1911. Has all the "loaded" features of pistols more than twice it's price, and I am shooting 3" groups at 100yds all day, not a single misfire after 1k+ rounds of everything from 230gr ball to hollowpoint to Liberty USM4 +P. There's a tiny bit of slide-wobble now, but less than many 1911's have right out of the box...

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

I'm looking at two 1911's myself, either the Kimber Custom II RL LE, or Para Black Ops. First, while I'm impressed by the Rem R! carry, I suspect Para is building them (they are both Freedom group). And I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the new Para stuff (stay away from the LDA's). They are now made in North Carolina and Travis Tomasse has taken over design. The new stuff I've seen coming in is extremely well put together.

Also don't ignore Kimber. I know they get some bad reports, but that is largely based on the fact that they are the biggest player in the market. (They do more 1911 business than all the other players combined). The reality is when it comes to 5" guns they are hard to beat. And if you break them in right, something you have to do with EVERY well made 1911, they'll be good guns and very accurate. And there frame to slide fit is still about as good as it gets until you spend about double the price.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

18. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I am a big fan of the 1911 .45 myself. Had one for quite some time.
    The 1911 Commander is a viable option for carry. Same basic design and caliber, but a smaller package.

Being in Canada now, it's been a while since I owned any, and I've got no experience with the other guns mentioned, but I preferred the 1911 to the 9 mils and .380s I also owned at the time.

19. HeavyDuty

Media:
    This really is not an appropriate place for your question - it verges on political. The US is not the UK - neither is better than the other, they are just different.

20. HeavyDuty

Media:
    Older stock M&P triggers can be indistinct, but S&W has made recent improvements. My older M&Ps have Apex triggers which makes them very Glocklike.

21. pablomigraine

Disclosures:
    Totally not the right forum for this question. I will answer for myself.... in 2008 I had one of my tenants, high on crack, completely naked and wielding a kitchen knife chase me 6 city blocks after I posted an eviction notice. I escaped unharmed only because he tripped on a curb and was knocked unconscious. I can name dozens of marginally less severe incidents in the past 10 years, and my real estate ventures frequently involve entering long-abandoned property in very hi-crime areas. That's for me.