1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shop damaged my bass a bit =\

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rman12321, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rman12321

Rman12321

So I took my ibanez atk 300 into a local mom and pop for a set up and when I got it back, the action wasnt low as where I wanted it. So i took it back this weekend and the guy adjusted it right infront of me but when he was adjusting the truss rod, he jammed needle nose pliers into the hole ( I have those spoke wheel truss rod nuts ) and he tried to forcefully tighten it. Since needle nose pliers arent round and dont fit the hole good, he ended up damaging the hole quite a bit. I didnt notice this till I got home of course because I was just checking the action. But since I have very bad OCD it just drives me crazy =\. Would anyone else be ticked off by this? and what would you do..

2. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I'd ask them when they were going to have a replacement ATK300 for me.

Simple - people have to be responsible for things they damage under the guise of service or repairs.

When I was in business, the sword of lawsuits hovered over my head constantly. But I always took care of any and all things that went wrong.

Some people may feel sorry for the shop, but that's the risk they run when they open their doors and have someone on payroll who damages something.

Don't roll over on this. They are not only culpable, they are totally required to satisfy your demands here.

3. Rman12321

Rman12321

a week back before this I took my brand new american standard precision bass V to the canadian chain store here and to get set up, but before we even talked about set up the guy offered to take the plastic off the pickguard and then he ended up scratching it all over. Now i am waiting for a brand new one from fender but that will take 2 months so they lent me a american deluxe jazz V free of charge :D. For the mom and pop experience, they guy there is supposed to be pretty professional from what i've heard so I took my other bass there instead of the chain store but he still damaged it which pisses me off -.-

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would also be ticked off, and I don't know how one would get retribution for something like this so I would probably just stop shopping there and be sure to inform everybody I know they have awful service.

A repair guy makes or breaks a guitar shop, period. I have seen mom and pop shops go down in flames because they couldn't do decent repairs or decent setups, I mean who can't do a decent setup and still make a living.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Premierbass

Premierbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Premier Bass Guitars
    Unacceptable. The great thing about the spoke wheel adjusters is that you don't need an exact tool...an allen key or small screwdriver of the approximate size will work fine. I'm not sure why anyone would try to do this with pliers. :rollno:

You should see if you can get them to replace the truss rod spokewheel nut at a minimum.

7. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

That's why I took the time to learn how to setup my own basses and do small repairs. It's a great skill to learn

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

This is simple and really doesn't require a whole lot of thought.

You took it in one way and received it back another.
    It is their responsibility to correct it.
    You shouldn't even feel bad bringing it to their attention. It's not like the guy can lie and say he didn't use an incorrect tool as you sat and watched him do it.
    And no it is not your place to stop him and question his methods, he is the "professional"

Having said that definitely don't go in and act like an a$$ about it either, even if you are pissed. Just ask what they plan to do to fix your bass or remedy the situation and you need to do it immediately. Don't wait on this or your leaving yourself open to him saying it left in perfect shape.
    Of coarse you can always say that you never attempt adjustments yourself and that is why you brought it to him.
    I know it's a crappy feeling sometimes to be in this situation but what's right is right and holding them accountable is what's right. Really if they are a decent shop I'd think they'd be understanding to it.

This is part of the reason I just gave up and learned to do my own. I was scared to death someone would scuff something or crack paint that wasn't already checking on mine.

9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I would at least give them the chance to correct it before I told everyone they suck and don't shop there.

They may surprise him altogether. You never know I've had great customer service before on similar situations where I was nervous as hell about complaining.

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

Not getting my stuff back in the same condition I dropped it off in was happening to me every time I'd take my basses in for a setup. That and the several days or even weeks wait time were the catalysts for me learning to do them myself.

11. LucienBel

LucienBel

This. It could be an honest mistake. It's worth seeing what they'd do to fix it first before going all out on them.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

You should have stopped him as soon as the idiot inserted needle nose plairs into it. But yes have store replace the neck or whole bass for damaging truss rod mechanism.

13. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Lol, you do know what a pickguard is for...right?

Also, the plastic on the pickguard, if left on, will degrade and adhere and separate all over the guard. That stuff needs to be removed sooner rather than later. Plus the "Made in USA" sticker or any other stickers will cause a mark on the pickguard, being uglier than any scuffs.

14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I'm glad you said this I was just wandering about this very thing the other day.

I'm strongly considering getting another Squire (Type not figured out just yet) But was debating on the plastic protective film and stickers.
    I've seen quite a few people leave them on and ANYTHING I've ever seen with the protective film on it ALWAYS starts to wear around the edges and eventually come off anyway.
    And it's definitely logical that the stickers would leave a permanent difference on the guard.

I guess if I was buying it to store it away in a case and never EVER remove it again maybe but I'm definitely thinking they'll have to go.

15. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

+1 to this. And that's coming from a guy who does setups on some SERIOUS equipment

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses

They want your return business, and it sounds like the damage is small enough that they may not have even realized that there was any damage. The least you can do is politely bring it to their attention so that they can make right by it.

Hopefully the pliers usage was just someone having an off day and a one-time fluke. That really seems like the tool least suited for the job.

17. Rman12321

Rman12321

I meant he scratched the finish on the bass, because he was using needle nose pliers to loosen all the nuts and he slipped, then he sent a huge scratch down the finish.

Well anyway i emailed the shop and they say they want to rectify the situation and help me out free of charge

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    I have never used a needle nose to tighten nuts on an instrument. A repair shop should have open end wrenches for this. If a repair guy doesn't have the right tools then he is not trained or serious. Find another repair shop.

When you go back, ask the OWNER why his tech doesn't have or use the proper tools. Also, ask him where the tech was trained. If he doesn't have a good answer, let him try and make you whole, then never go there again.

Go to Stew Mac or Cruz Tools and invest in a good set of tools for setting up your own instrument. It's not rocket science (proof, since most guitar techs are musicians themselves.). The only tools I don't own are nut slot files, but I borrow them from my tech when I need them.

Adjusting and setting up basses is cake.

19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Setting up your instrument should be as fundamental to know as putting on new strings. Know your bass, know how to set it up to suit your playing requirements. It's not hard, it just takes a little time to understand the concepts involved and you'll never find yourself in these unnecessary situations.

20. mp40smg

mp40smg

Any "tech" that is adjusting a wheel type truss rod with needle nose pliers should not allowed be near any instrument.

This shows a complete lack of judgement or skill.

21. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I hated seeing this, this morning. I don't know any luthiers in the area and continue dragging my feet to take my Franken Jazz in to have put together and set up. I'm terrified that great care will not be exercised and a phillips head screw driver will be dropped point first in to the new custom paint.

Right tool, right job please. I'll pay the extra half hour's time for the luthier to remove a neck to adjust properly in order to avoid possible damage.

Bottom line, it needs to be addressed. Please let us know how it turns out.