1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shopping at outlets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 22, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Around here we have several pretty large outlet centers. My favorite is in Vacaville that is less than an hour away from here.
    The trick at outlets is to know you prices. On a recent visit I got a Columbia jacket for $32. I know these jackets for for about $150. Columbia makes good stuff but it is not worth that much to me. However $32 is a good deal for a lightweight warm jacket.
    Some of the stores there are no bargain. Just because it is an outlet doesn't mean you are getting a good price. I can get Levis jeans locally for less than what they cost there.
    It is also good to watch for sales and use any other discount you can. I ask them about AAA discounts, if they say no I ask them about senior discounts. You can also get a coupon book at the center office if you show them your AAA card.
    I also know what I am looking for when I go there. I don't go just to shop for whatever. If I am not careful I can come home with stuff I don't really need. It has been a long time since that has happened.
    Of course there are also the local sales and bargain racks at local stores.
  2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    ... and all the thrift stores on Valencia and Mission

When I first got to the US I stocked my kitchen and closets from Thrift Town and Community Thrift.
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

The book "Cheap: The high cost of low prices" has a whole chapter on outlet stores.

Summary:

1) products are frequently not equivalent.
    2) destination locations make for a psychology of overspending.
    3) Captive audience.

In short, rarely the value you would be led to believe.

P.S. Even though I never really enjoyed it as a kid, as an adult I miss three old Nut Tree.
  4. slobake

I used to get all my clothes at Thriftown on Mission. Back in the late 70's I got a 1958 cruiser there for $13 it still had the old license stickers on it. I rode that bike everywhere.
  5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It's great we agree on something.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

We have a few options around here. I know what you mean about knowing your prices. The wife and I usually find what we want online, check pricing, then hit the outlet to see what kind of deals we can scare up.

That being said, I have scored some major good deals at the Coach outlet when getting gifts for my wife.

-Mike
  7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I haven't really been impressed with the prices I've seen at outlets, perhaps for the reasons Unrepresented delineated. I do like the Levi's store, though, because while the jeans aren't much cheaper than you'd pay at JC Penney, you have your choice of pretty much every style, wash, and size.

However, I am a total bargain shopper and I have found some killer deals at TJ Maxx and Ross. In the North East of the U.S., we have a small chain of overstock stores called Gabrielle Brothers that absolutely rock. I've also been hitting up Plato's Closet a lot for some good deals on jeans. I recently picked up a pair of 7 For All Man Kind for $30 and a pair of Diesels for $22. Score!
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

There is a Levi's outlet near me, I like it.

lowsound
  9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Yep, TJMaxx is my go to. They have high end stuff for low budget prices, you just have to dig through it all a bit to find what you want. Although not an outlet, I'll never buy clothes at Target again. I've had more than one garment from there that I discovered either had holes in it that I didn't notice when I bought it, or it quickly developed them after I brought them home.
  10. slobake

I agree. I would rather buy better made clothes at bargain rates then buy cheap clothes.
  11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

On top of that, some retailers make some "outlet only" lines like Banana Republic, Express, JCrew, etc. Knowing your prices is key.

For me, Nordstrom Rack is the place. All the size 14 shoes I could want and great clothes for business and the funky.
  12. slobake

I was just at Nordstrom rack over the weekend. It looks like they raised their prices since the last time I was there. They used to have Lucky jeans for less than $40 now they are 90 something dollars. Other things seemed more expensive as well. I didn't look at shoes.
  13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

^^^ Well that sucks. Hoping I don't find the same deal in SD. We have two of them and they are always packed, but easy to find great stuff. I'd be bummed.
  14. slobake

I get the senior discount on Wednesdays at Ross. :D
  15. slobake

If you have AAA insurance ask stores if they give AAA discounts. I have been surprised at how many do around here.
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I worked on some transformers in a substation in Vacaville. Does that get me a discount?
  17. T-birdfan

T-birdfan Supporting Member

Bumblebee and Optimus Prime?
  18. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I rarely by new clothes, so when I do I really don't mind paying full price if its something I really dig, but then again I'm not really buying over priced designer carp either.
  19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Large outlet chains, such as Tanger, never seem to have good deals. but I've found other Outlets that have amazing deals in every store.
  20. darius8

darius8

Hey, I worked as a seasonal sales associate at the Vacaville outlets over the Christmas period, specifically at Kenneth Coles.