Shopping For A Studio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Getting ready to go into the studio again after three years. I'd like to be more systematic about deciding where to go. Is there a checklist or some other means of evaluating a studio? I've been to several places that brag about their fancy boards, collection of amps and mics, rooms with high ceilings, super-duper monitors, etc. There's so much to look at and think about, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

2. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Listen to what they've done and see if it sounds good. Talk to the engineer and see if he seems like he'll be a good fit for your band and is easy to work with.

Gear is gear. The really good studios have engineers with good ears. That's the difference.

3. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

+1 with the monkey. In addition, I suggest to meet the engineer and talk through the project and what you're trying to achieve.

4. Big Mother

Big Mother

What MonkeyBass said.
    Listen to work they've done, ask some of those bands about their experience.
    Talk to (meet preferably) the engineer you would like to work with, I consider this the most important.
    Find someone that understands what you are hoping to achieve.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

All good suggestions so far... I'll add that if you aren't working with a producer, find a really good freelance engineer who can also guide the sessions and make sure that you go in with a plan and clearly set goals.

If you find the engineer you like, he or she can probably direct you to a studio that suits your needs and goals. The first time I was in a studio was the last time I've used the studio's engineer (though their assistants have been quite valuable.)

7. eriky4003

eriky4003

It's been almost 20 yrs now but I visited with most band members my 'short list' of studios in our area. All of the above advice and pricing. Will you get a lockout of the studio so your drum sounds are consistent (your drummer may have to work really hard for a few days)? Also how are they to be paid and heads up so you folks know in advance?