Short scale basses and higher tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BangerzNMash, Jan 8, 2014.

1. BangerzNMash

BangerzNMash

Hello!

In the band that I currently play in the guitars are tuned in Drop B using 6 string guitars, playing bass I have to tune up. This puts a lot of tension on the strings and neck making some passages really difficult to pull off and to pull off with a decent sound. Overall its really uncomfortable to play. I am considering buying a bass that is shorter in scale under the impression that it would make playing in a higher tuning more comfortable and giving it a better tone. Is this the right way to approach the issue? if not, what other options are available to me?

Cheers! :bag:

2. Need Gigs

Need Gigs

Why do you have to tune up? You could tune it however you want and the notes would still be there.
    Or you could always buy a 5 string piccolo bass ;)

3. tonybassman

tonybassman

Put the top 4 strings from a 5 string set on a 4 string bass and tune accordingly.

4. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Not sure why you think you have to tune up, maybe there is a detail or two you left out. Most likely you could tune down instead. If you were to email BassStringsOnline.com with the four (or is it five?) notes you need to tune to they can tell you what custom string sets you could order to tune either up or down, but most of us would tune down. I can't see your location on my TB phone ap but your post gives some indications that you are in the UK. People in the UK have had good luck using BassStringsOnline.com so it should be an option for you. Circle K Strings can help you too but I don't know if they work well with overseas customers. Can't hurt to ask them. In general if you need to retune far enough that standard string sets don't work for you then a custom string set will solve all your problems and they are popular enough these days that they are priced very reasonably.

7. Davo-London

Davo-London

Yeah I'm real puzzled by this.

I can't think of any reason why you would need to retune your bass. If the pitch of the notes fall outside the range of your instrument then you need another instrument!

Davo