Short scale options? Preferably hollowbody ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zuhzuhzombie!!, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!

I keep thinking of grabbing a Hofner Contemporary but I never can pull the trigger. Even thinking of grabbing the new Starfire but am disappointed at the lack of a neck option. Saw the Midtown Bass and would have jumped on it but, hey, it's full scale inspite of what the vintage model is. I'd like to get my hands on an SG bass at some point as well.
  2. j5eugene

j5eugene

I'm thinking about Reverend Dub King.. or Lakland Hollow 30, can't decide yet )
  3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I cannot say enough good things about my Lakland 30. What completely blows my mind is how fat, present and articulate the low E is. I've never had a shorty, let alone semi hobo with anything approaching the voice of this bass. I had a 66 Starfire for years and I loved it. But, this bass just blows it out of the water on every level.
  4. FFTT

FFTT

I've got some pretty nice basses, but a while back I tried one of the new Gretsch Semi-Hollow Bodies and damn near took it home.

Strung with flats, you could totally get in the Hofner zone and quite honestly the action and string spacing felt a lot closer to a rick which I really liked.

Sure it would be great to upgrade to the better TV Jones bass pickups, but I thought it was a nice bass for the money.

I haven't tried the Epiphone Cassidy Bass, but that would be another alternative.

The worst part is both of these basses are strung with round wounds stock, so you're not really hearing what they can do.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!

That Lakland looks great but man that string spacing is a bit wide.
  7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The spacing is the same as a Jazz bass. A guitarist might find it uncomfortable, but it suits me perfectly. It's a very comfortable bass to play, and quite light as well.
  8. Tennesseemick

Tennesseemick Supporting Member

Casady is full scale.