1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Short scale options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marcray, Jan 2, 2014.

1. marcray

marcray

Disclosures:
    Aging Former Bass Player
    A weird conundrum. I have worked in music production for 20 years, basically been an old Precision player, I have a modern 5 string for when needed, however I am so so comfortable on short scale basses.

I have an Epiphone that I have at home that the kids basically abuse that feels so great, so easy to play, and while I look at new basses I'm wondering what my options are. I've even taken the $150 Epi into the studio and with plug ins I can get it to sound pretty decent...

So, options, ideas, I'm open to anything. I guess my question is, is there a modern, versatile, short scale bass of any real quality out there?? Something that the engineers and producers won't turn there nose up at... ??
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Fender MIJ mustang
    Gibson SG
  3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

4. king rew

king rew

Warmoth short scale! you can build a 32 or 30 inch scale jazz bass with Warmoth parts, but they have a few other body styles as well. I personally love 32 inch scale, like my aria from the 80's, so someday I hope to build one of these Warmoths for myself. I've never built or played a Warmoth, though, but they are US made and have a great reputation.

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/ShortScale/
  5. Jazzish

Jazzish Supporting Member

6. mcarp555

mcarp555

Hofner - you can get a Club bass if you don't want a Violin style, or even a Shorty.
  7. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

Call Keith Roscoe in NC. They will make an insane 30 inch scale bass that will blow away anything else.
  8. BassHappy

BassHappy

Some very nice short scale options exist: Some of the "off the rack" short scale production basses are shown from left to right below - Unfortunately, some of these are still referred to as "student models". As pictured below, Gretsch has their short scale Electrotone and ThunderJet models - along with a JuniorJet and a Billy-Bo Thunderbird bass. Gibson has released a Les Paul Junior and an SG Faded short scale. Fender has recently released short scale Squier versions of it's Jaguar, Bronco and Mustang models to go along with the Fender Mustang, Bronco and Music Master models. Gibson's Epiphone division has an Allen Woody semi-hollow RumbleKat, an EB-0 and a Hofner type knock-off Viola Bass. Not pictured below, Gibson has released a short scale version of the popular Thunderbird bass - while Fender Japan has released - along with their full and medium scalers - a short scale version of their iconic 1962 Jazz Bass replica. If you are a Jazz Bass fan, this would be the one for you. There was also a Fender U.S. Precision Bass Junior - with an extra short 28.5" scale - but it has been discontinued. Might find it used.

[​IMG]

Best of luck to you in your quest!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

Much more here: http://shortscalebass.blogspot.com/ and here: http://www.innertainment.net/overview.html
  9. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

EPI Rumblekat

Plays like butter, inexpensive and good to look at.
  10. lustersilk

lustersilk

Yep - I just scored one of these. New bridge and nut + setup and this thing is my new favorite. I'm going to put Lollar Thunderbird pickups in when I have more dough. Love this bass!
  11. Guinness20

Guinness20

itching for a new sg special bass!
  12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Landing basses are worth a peek.
  13. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I've been looking really hard at the Reverend Dub King.
  14. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Gibson SG and SG Special, Gretsch Junior Jet and Thunder Jet, and Fender Mustang.
  15. DrSteve

DrSteve

Lakland also offers 2 shirt scales. A hollow body and solid Haven't played either, but I head a band where the bass player had the Lakland Decade SS and it sounded great.
    I do play the Hofners, German and CT, and they are both great
  16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Short scale winners IMHO

Classic rock - Squier Mustang SS
    Jazz trio - Squier Jaguar SS
    Country/'50s/Motown - Dano Longhorn SS
    Pop - Gibson SG, Hofner Beatle Bass
    Grunge/Metal - Warwick Corvette SS
    Progressive - Spector Shorty
    Polka/Folk - Kala UBass Hollowbody
  17. hogtied

hogtied

Check out BIRDSONG BASS. Pricy & long wait, but top notch quality, balance, sound and great communication. I own three. Been playing short scales for 40 years. These are the best.

"64 Epiphone Newport
    Gibson SG
    Hofner Club
    Squire Bass VI
    Birdsong Fusion Custom
    Birdsong Corto Custom
    Birdsong Embrace
  18. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Ibanez has some hollow- and semi-hollowbody options as well.
  19. UK Philip

UK Philip

i've got a Gretsch Junior Jet (single pickup version).

cheap as hell, solid as a rock, beautiful looking and with all the guts of a P bass. great instrument.
  20. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Look at SX I picked up a short scale fretless and wow couldn't be happier!