Short Scale Replacement Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twocargar, Apr 5, 2014.

1. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

I bought this old 'Funky Old Ric Like' project a couple weeks ago, and bought the missing parts and got it put together. Once the weather warms up, I'll be painting it and putting some finishing touches on it.

After searching the web, I found out it's a late 60's Kay Ric copy. Pretty nifty. In the mean time, I'd like to make it playable, but the bridge is crap. Won't intonnate properly. The bass is a 30.5" scale, so all my Fenderish bridges are WAY too wide.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Maybe an Ibanez Mikro bass bridge? Should I try to make a Fender-style bridge for it?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396745422.291265.jpg
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's hard to see from the photo, but yes, that looks like one of the Kay stamped sheet metal bridges and the headstock also looks Kay.

I've never had a problem intonating or using the old Kay bridges on the three or four of them I've had, but maybe I've been lucky. I also don't worry about being absolutely 100% perfect on intonation.

I suggest taking measurements of the string spacing and working from them to find a replacement. If you do the fitting before repainting, you would need to drill and plug the existing bridge mounting holes, finish the wood smoothly so you can paint over it, then you're ready to refinish. You can re-drill as needed for the replacement bridge.
  3. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    I'd think a Mustang Bass bridge would be spaced about right, and it would somewhat approximate the wedge shape of a Ric bridge. I agree with pilgrim, though, that you should check your spacing before buying anything online.
  4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Post some more detailed pics and get the string spacing measurement.The you should have no prob. finding something that will work for you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Something like a musicmaster bridge might work?
  7. twocargar

Thanks!

It looks like the string spacing is 18mm (.71") at the bridge.

Here are some photos. I also have the original bridge cover that would be cool to use.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396791764.258089.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396791775.424178.jpg
  8. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    Mustang bridges are also 18mm, IIRC.
  9. twocargar

I think I got it figured out. A little bending and twisting of screws and it's playable now. :D

Thanks for the help.
  10. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

You could get a Hipshot made to your string spacing or close enough. Check it out on Bestbassgear. Since you plan on refinish I would do as suggested above of filling in holes and remount new one beforehand.