1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Short scale snd chunky neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lobomov, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov

I've played guitar always, but recently bought a 5string Warwick. I love its chunkines, but my wrist doesn't like it, when I play on the first frets. It doesn't actually hurt, but something is not quite right.

This mean I automatically end up using the frets 5-9 on the B-string instead of playing frets 0-4 on the E-string.

So I got the idea to try out a short scale bass instead. The only one they had in my local store was a squier jaguar. Lenght felt good, but neck was a toothpick, which was a major turn off.

Does short scale and toothpick neck go hand in hand or are there chunky shortscale bases out there?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I'd think the reach over to the B string would be more of a strain on your wrist than the reach to the E string, but....the Gibson SG has a wonderfully chunky neck. The Epiphone EBO does too for about 600 bucks less.
  3. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

4. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

My Hofner CT 500/1 is pretty chunky, took a small bit to get used to compared to my much slimmer icon.
    There are also a couple of hofner "fatnecks" that apparently have extremely chunky necks.
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov

No no .. B string 6th fret is just guitar territory, no issue what so ever ... I think my problem might be holding my elbow to close to my body or something like that when playing the 1st fret. It is the slight twist that is the sinner. Reach I have.

But cool, will try and track an SG down and see how it plays.
  6. Lobomov

Lobomov

Thx both!

Btw .. my price range is MIA P-bass level. (so decent, but not enough to go custom crazy :) )
  7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Guitar Center has a bunch of used ones but if you're buying new, make sure you get the case that comes with it. I've seen certain retailers that don't include it and try to charge you extra.
  8. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I have a Gibson Flying V and an SG. The neck feels chunkier on the V for some reason. I also prefer the T-bird pups on the V over the SG's huge neck bucker/mini bucker combo. I have become a shortscale believer and am ready to part with my last 34 (which happens to weigh a ton). I was playing my am sp J for a while and for some reason that made my left elbow ache. The Stinger SB-10 I was playing last night had the same effect I do not know if this is a weight issue or a difference in hand position when I am using the 34. I have played a pawn shop mustang and was pleasantly surprised with how hot the single buck was on it. I have no idea's re: SS fiver's as I am strictly a four string guy. Any of the three above would get my thumbs up.
  9. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

While it isn't short scale, the Fender Jaguar Pawn Shop Reverse has a 32" scale and a rather chunky neck.
    Otherwise, the Gibson SG bass is a very playable short scale bass.

Either would be a far cry from the length of a Warwick. My Streamer seems to go on forever.
  10. punisher911

punisher911

If I recall, my Squier Bronco had a thicker neck on it. Had the Badtz-Maru Bronco with a Hot-Rails pup installed. Killer little bass. Plus the all black with a maple neck is always attractive.
  11. MakoMan

MakoMan Supporting Member

FYI the Bronco neck isn't much thicker than the Jag. I have both and they feel pretty much the same.
    The Squier Vista MusicMaster has a very solid, chunky neck. Very comfortable. Strangely, the cheap Jay Turser mini bass also has a chunky, very comfortable short scale neck. I have both of those too. Blindfolded I couldn't tell them apart other than tone and the fact the Turser weighs only slightly more than a helium-filled balloon.
    The Gretsch G2202 Jr. Jet bass falls somewhere in between. Very nice neck. If this were a 3 bears fairy tale it would be just right.
    For the record I love all of them. While I prefer the chunkier necks on a short scale, if you play the Jag and/or Bronco long enough to get used to them you'll find they are very fast, comfortable and more solid than they feel at first take.
  12. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I haven't played one for myself, but I hear that the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass (not short-scale, but 32") has a chunky neck.
  13. Lobomov

Lobomov

Once again .. thx all .. I will investigate :)
  14. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

In 32" scale the fender vm tele special is pretty chucky 1.7" wide at the nut.
  15. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I also have a Jag and a modded Bronco, and I find the Bronco much chunkier than the Jag. The Jag took some getting use to so I know exactly what the ops means, but you're right, once you get use to it, it's pretty nice. I bought my Jag site unseen off ebay, but if I had played it first, I would not have gotten it because of the toothpick neck, and rough fret edges. I had to throw more money at it to get it to play right, without buzzing and cutting my fingers off.

16. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have both a Jag SS and a Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet. The Jag has a skinny neck, while the Gretsch is much chunkier.
  17. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Ibanez Artcore AGB200 is a short scale semi acoustic bass and has a great neck on it. Nice thickness and minimal taper, the neck is a deep as a P bass. The pups have a great output as well, but i would recommend changing the pots over as they do not do much till you get into that last 90% of turning them. The hollow body is deep enough to put a stacked tone pot and a better quality sweep on the volume control.
    Great basses though i have two of them and love them even though i had to up-grade the pots......but not every aspect of a stock bass will be to my liking, but so long as it is not the feel of it, i can change it....and these bass feel great. :)

Check out the specs.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb...5&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=117
  18. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

My Danelectro '58 Longhorn has kind of a chunky neck. They aren't real easy to find though.
  19. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

The Warwick Rockbass corvette SS has a 1.5" nut but is otherwise surprisingly beefy.