Short Scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zontar, Feb 19, 2014.

1. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Do any other short scale bass owners have an issue with going to buy bass strings and not finding any short scale strings?
    I can't use long or medium scale strings on my EB-3 copy (30" scale) they don't fit properly on the low E--either the string won't fit the slot on the post or the string wraps around itself.

Fortunately one store will sometimes carry them, and that helps.
    But I may need to get them online ahead of time.

Anybody else have issues with that, and if so--any advice?

Thanks
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

bassstringsonline.com or juststrings.com. You seldom find short scale strings in a store.
  3. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    That's been my experience.

they used to be easier to find around here, and the one store that did carry them on a regular basis was bought out by a larger store (Not Guitar Centre--I'm in Canada)
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool link.
    Thanks.
  7. gary m

gary m

Short scale strings don't often show up in stores, at least as far as I can find. I rely on either GHS or Pyramid strings purchased via the web.

Only one store I've used in the past carried short scale strings briefly, and that's because I specifically ordered multiple sets...they put some of the leftovers out in the racks where they sat for years. I bought the remaining stock eventually.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

The Sam Ash here in Las Vegas is the only store I've found that has any Short Scale strings at all. If you want D'Addario EXL170S, that is; that's all they carry. Neither of the 2 GC's do (naturally), but that's OK; I'm tired of having to explain the difference between basses and guitars to a pimply, slack-jawed mouth breather, anyway. The concept of scale lengths would probably blow his tiny mind. All my short scale basses use medium scale strings, anyway; which, of course, nobody has. :D
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    And that is the problem with strings being sold by "Scale Length." I have 2 short scale instruments as well that require Medium Scale strings for proper fit.

Sigh...
  10. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I see medium scale strings more often than short scale strings--and they are too long for my EB-3 copy.
    But my new bass is long scale--so there are more options out there.