1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

short scale talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Apr 6, 2014.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

All these threads about short scale basses makes me want to cruise pawn shops or somewhere to find an old piece of crud, even though I have no real need. My first bass was a borrowed beat up Danelectro.

2. HelpImaRock

HelpImaRock

3. buldog5151bass

Oh sure, rub it in right away.

Mine was the basic mirror image model, in that Danelectro basic brown.

4. ejaggers

ejaggers

I have four:
    o squier jaguar
    o tricked out bronco modded into a musicmaster
    o fender coronado II
    o epi EB0 that I'm modding like the 2014 Gibson SG

Do I have a "real need" for 4? Not really. But sometimes the "want" overrules the "need".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

7. buldog5151bass

8. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I have one of these coming to me next week....a Mikey Way Squier Mustang...

[​IMG]

30" neck and sparkly silver metalflake. This is going to sound stupid, but outside of wanting to explore a short scale (I have VERY small hands for a 6' guy!), I wanted a bass to match my fairly new pawn shop find....a 1972 Kustom K150-1 amp and 215-B cabinet in:

SPARKLY SILVER METALFLAKE NAUGAHYDE!

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see the Mustang and the Kustom rig together!

9. buldog5151bass

Flashback! Anybody have any ideas on what to put on the rips that look better than duct tape? There has to be something you can brush on.

Sweet pickup.

10. eldoryder

Since those photos were taken, I have very carefully stretched the original Naugahyde and joined the seams with 1-1/2" clear packing tape. Rips no longer visible unless your nose is practically on the seam! 40 years of beer and cigarettes masking tape and bumper sticker residue also came off handily with acetone, windex, soap & water and Armorall! The whole rig is looking very nice now. Guess I oughta take new pictures?

11. buldog5151bass

Yes, make us even more jealous. How does it sound, and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?

12. eldoryder

[​IMG]

Since the amp was not working (and they weren't very clever technically at the pawnshop), I ended up getting this amp & cab for the cost of the original pawn ticket:

$75.00!!!!

[​IMG]

The main power switch was shot. The tech I took it to upgraded the amp with a 3-prong power cord, relocated the fuse to the back panel and swapped the "Unobtanium" switch over from the "Polarity" side (they are the exact same switch), and it worked...at his shop!!!

When I got it home, it had all kinds of popping issues, so I took it back to the tech. He has since isolated the rest of the problem, and it's awaiting parts at the moment.

So I have no report on the amp itself right now. The 2 X 15 cabinet, however, sounds magnificent as long as you don't try to dime it. I have a 100-watt Ampeg "mini-fridge" SS amp, and a custom-built HammerTone 100-watt all tube amp that I've run through this 2 X 15 cab, and it sounds wonderfully full and vintage. Not bad for the original 40+ year old CTS speakers!

[​IMG]

I actually prefer this to the 4 X10 and the 2 X 10 cabs I have been using.

And it WILL look great next to the Squier Mikey Way Silver Sparkle Mustang (getting back on topic)!

[​IMG]

13. buldog5151bass

14. uberman

uberman Supporting Member

I have owned and played a lot of shorts-gretsch-every model; Gibson; Danelectro; Fender; Birdsong; Epiphione etc.
    Right now Im in a acoustic/electric duo playing a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. Great bass, great sound but not THE sound I want for a thunky midrange thump that when played palm muted with a pick is the most awesome sound in the world. The basses that produce this sound are hollow/semi hollow body basses with tapewound flatwounds on them, short scale, and cheesy pickups ala the Lipstick style. I have found the more powerful pickups-Chi Sonics, Humbuckers and mini hums, fiddle trons, etc all bring out a deeper thick BASS sound when the lipsticks have a more high end cut that clears right through so that every note stands out clean and cuts to the bone. So, I can get great sounds out of the Lakland but I want either a Dano, a Hofner verythin or, my personal most wanted, a Kay Pro Bass. Im sitting on a brand new Fender Carbonita bass-totally cool tele body, very retro but long scale. Single pickup and bitchin. We do two sets of all original music-One with me on a Kala Ubass with a couple mandolin numbers I play and the 2nd set is all a 30" short scale with a mando number thrown in. If anyone has any question about the basses ive owned/played or has a trade idea for me, give me a holler.
    My band is
    www.thesoundoysters.com
    Cheers.

15. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

buldog5150bass@me?

Thanks. Wasn't keen on the colour when I bought it (it was the only cool bass in Bangkok 10 years ago) but it's grown on me since I put the snakeskin under the scratchplate :smug:

16. buldog5151bass

Now that I read all these threads about pawn shop finds I am getting GAS to looking to see what I can scrounge up.

17. eldoryder

As promised, here's a pic of the MW Mustang and the Kustom rig together.....

[​IMG]

Bassamatic, HosMan and Fatberg like this.
  18. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

There's quite a few SS basses in the classifieds. Mostly SX's. I have a SS SX P-bass that I upgraded the guts on, and it plays and sounds great.

19. harmendebresser

harmendebresser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Nice looking pair! How's the MW playing? Rounds or flats btw?

20. UK Philip

UK Philip

i've got a short-scale gretsch but it's lent out long-term to a friend and i don't know how i can bring myself to take his only bass away.

it's the single-pickup junior jet model and i got lucky with it as it has a very unusual veneered top comprised of 2 sides of the same piece of wood with symmetrical markings leading into the middle. other ones have more of an alder effect (or don't match at all) but mine lookes quilted and it sounds like a boss.

best 200 i ever spent, especially with a gotoh 201 bridge that i added later. i'm waiting for him to buy his own but it's taking too long!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  21. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    25.5 inch scale.

PiccoBass.png
    8 Beauty.png

Last edited: May 4, 2014