Short scale vs long scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Dec 18, 2013.

Which matters most to you - comfort or tone?

1. Comfort

174 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Tone

223 vote(s)
    56.2%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Ok, I know some of you have clicked this title hoping to say something along the lines of "this has been done to death etc" but bear with me :D

I've got a couple of short scale basses and one long scale. Of course, being a short girl, the short scales are way more comfortable and easier for me to play. I have an issue with my little finger on my left hand - it goes a bit numb after 10 minutes of playing a 34" scale bass due to ulnar nerve entrapment - doctor won't operate.

For me, my long scale bass (this one in particular) is the best sounding bass I ever played.

After playing short scales for a week or so, switching back to the long scale really makes my left hand ache. Plus the little finger issue.

I'm considering getting rid of the shorties and going back to standard purely for the sound, but can't help feeling like I'd be doing myself some damage over the long term. How do I get around this?

I guess it comes down to comfort or tone. Which would you guys choose, and why? Which is more important to you?

2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Comfort any day. A good eq can do a lot to improve your tone, but if the bass isn't comfortable, you won't enjoy playing it.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm a big guy and was all about full scale for a while, but I haven't played anything other than my 5 pound shortscale Hofner since I got it. My longscale jazz is more versatile, but I like the oldschool tone of my Hofner. Plus, I'm a lazy bastard, so comfort wins.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tone all the way. I can adjust to feel and or comfort. If it sounds good and to my liking, I'll adjust.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I went with comfort. Playing a bass that makes your hand hurt will probably do long term dammage. I have both and to be honest, the shorty is more fun to play.

7. ghostfather

ghostfather

comfort all the way.
    i actually just replaced my short scale for a long scale because the long scale feels better to my long spindly fingers. and the balance of a long scale feels better for my freakish gangly arms.

8. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I've never played a shortscale, but I'd pick comfort every time; a more comfortable bass will make me more likely to pick it up more often, so I get to enjoy playing it more, and get better faster. Hell, if the tone is all in the fingers, that sounds like the only real choice. Plus playing live, people are much more interested in seeing me jump around and whip my hair like an idiot, easier to do with a forgiving bass.

Besides, I have a hard time believing you can't get a tone you'll just as much (if maybe in a different way) from the shortscale by swapping out components, or looking at altering your amp/cab setup. All of that becomes moot if you screw up your hand.

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

I've always played short or medium scale,thing is you can
    change neck size but not your hand size,i own both prefer
    the medium scale..

10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Comfort. Also I'd be hard-pressed to be able to tell my Mustang from my Precision from listening to one of my band's recordings.

11. blue4

blue4

Comfort. If your short scale doesn't sound as good, look at trying new strings. What are the basses you have, and what tunings are you using? I may be user name profiling here, but Evil Undead strikes me as a drop tuning kinda name. JK:)

12. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Comfort is good, although i chose tone. But i agree with a lot of the posts here. I play long scale basses (with the exception of my short scale ibanez GaxB), But i prefer short scale hollowbodies and long scale solid bodies (aside from musicmaster/mustang)

13. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Comfort you can change pickups, electronics . Im fact just ordered nordstrand fat stacks for my short scale

14. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

COMFORT! you can do a lot to change your tone. Not many options for comfort.

15. Danelander

Danelander

I think that if you are not feeling comfortable when you play it will affect your tone in a bad way anyway. Could it be a question of trying out some more short scale basses? Have you tried the Gibson SG or Fender Mustang?

16. 66thunderbird66

66thunderbird66

To choose between comfort and tone, hmm. Why not choose both? Find a bass you're comfortable with, and as someone wrote, change the bass too your liking ...

17. willop

willop

comfort.
    I've not played a short scale but once in a store so can't comment on how much diff it makes, but easy action, lighter bass, thinner strings are good things IMO.

As others have said you can change pickups, eq adjustments, string choice, how you play, amp and pedals/effects can be added.

18. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

For you its not just comfort, its the health of your playing.
    Stay with the short scales, just find one that matches your tone needs. There are a lot of them out there,Spector,Warwick, Alembic, Birdsong. Choices are much better than in the past for shorty's.

19. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Comfort (and health).

What short scale basses do you have, and what long scale has the tone you like? Chances are, one of your shortys can be modded to sound very much like (maybe even better than) your long scale.

There are many options for short scales now, including complete custom builds for less than you might expect (i.e. Jimmy Wilson at landingbass.com). Let us know what tone(s) you're going for.

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess I'm choosing tone thinking I'd be playing the instrument as is. Now if the case was where I could mod the bass, I wouldn't have to worry about picking either, I'd just mod the bass to my specs and enjoy the feel AND tone.

21. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

Sometimes shortscale basses that are under 32' sound out of place, to me. Have you ever tried a medium scale bass? Also, it's a 34', but have you ever tried playing a Fender Jazz? You can wrap your thumb around the low notes, if you need to. The neck tapers a good bit.