1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Short strap for a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassOrdinaire, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

I've recently come into the possession of a Spector NS5CRFM, and I love the way it sounds and plays. However, the rear strap button is positioned a few inches higher than any other bass I've owned, and as a little guy (5'8" 120-ish pounds) I'm having problems getting the bass at the right height while standing. I play the bass slung pretty high on my belly. The only strap of mine that gets high enough is a cheap no-name rag that cuts right into my shoulders, so I'm looking into getting a nicer strap that can handle the Spector's hefty weight. But as a caveat, I don't want to use leather/animal products for personal reasons.

So to sum it up, I'm looking for the following:

A very short (I'd like it to get close to 30" from button to button), comfortable non-leather strap that can handle a lot of weight.

All advice is much appreciated.

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'll move the thread if necessary.
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

The Sadowsky neo straps can be bought in a small length and they aren't crazy expensive. Very comfortable.
  3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

I know what you mean about strap button placement on Spectors - have had, and still own a few!! Being bigger than you, I have no issues getting straps to get the bass sitting right!!!

Here's just a thought though....if you plan on keeping the bass for a while....have you considered moving the strap button - or getting someone to move it for you?
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b

While I agree that the Sadowsky straps are awesome (I have one and am ordering 2 more), they do have leather ends.

How about the Mono Betty straps? http://www.monocase.com/mono-gs1-betty.asp
  5. SDMFJay

SDMFJay

I think Comfort Strapp makes short, long and xl bass strap lengths for just this reason. I don't think I need to explain the comfort of their product either, pretty self explanatory lol
  6. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Thanks for the recs, but these straps are all still too big, even for the "short" sizes. I don't feel like I'm freakishly short or that I wear my bass exceptionally high (though I could be wrong!).

How feasible is it to modify the Mono (or another neoprene strap)?

EDIT: 'Fraid I'm not comfortable drilling in a new strap button for the time being. Although I do like the dual-buttons on the Gary Willis bass.
  7. the wako kid

the wako kid

I actually ercnetly bought a Levy's strap that was that really nice seatbelt kinda material,but softer,and the strap ends are polyester or some other cloth material,it has a pertty nice adjustment range.

basically,buy one of the new levy's straps,but not the leather ones.I bought mine at sam ash.

edit:found it,it's like this one,but with a different graphic http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/levys-jimi-hendrix-design-guitar-strap
  8. Joedog

Joedog

I have a nice wide padded Carvin strap I like a lot. Like you, my only complaint was it was too long, even at the shortest adjustment. I took it to a local apolstery guy, and for a couple bucks, voila: short strap! I think I paid like $13 plus shipping from Carvin (years ago).