1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shortscale Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoreBeer, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I own 2 shortscales, a Fender Mustang and an Epiphone Viola. The other basses I own are longs and normally play those, although I've been liking the shorties lately since they're very easy to play with my aging hands. The shorts are recent purchases, within the past year.

The thing is, when compared to my other basses, the shorties, especially on the first and second fret of the E and A string seem to lack the clarity of a traditional bass, such as my Fender J's and P's. The Epiphone slightly more so than the Mustang.

Is this the "norm" with shorties? Just wondering. Playing from the third fret and above there seems to be negligible difference.

2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Disclaimer: I've only switched from guitar to bass during the past year, so my experience (compared to most anybody else here) is limited.

That said, all my basses are shorties. I have found that the problem of which you speak does exist, but exhibits itself in a more pronounced fashion with round-wound strings. That's what my Mustang had on it when I bought it. I changed to 45-100 D'Addario Chrome flats and found that this mitigated the issue quite a bit.

Also have noted that if I crank the volume a bit more and focus on using a lighter, more uniform, right-hand touch, that this also helps. I also have a (much-maligned) hair band around the neck, right at the nut, which acts as an almost imperceptible mute, further taming any E-string flabbiness.

That's what works for me, but like I said: I'm pretty much a newb. Your results and everyone else's may differ.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've owned several shortscales, including the mustang. I never had the epi viola, but I had a rumblekat and I've had 2 hofners, and neither had that problem.

4. ejaggers

ejaggers

What he said, plus you may want to try heavy gauge high tension strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zontar

zontar

One of the advantages of having short & regular scale basses would be the sounds you get.

the mud sound can sometimes work for you.

I love my shortscale EB3 copy

7. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I've owned and played MANY short scales. These days i gig a '77 Univox HiFlyer. In my experience, the muddyness of the lower notes can be lessened by EQing on my amp.

Dialing back the lows juuuust a bit gives plenty more definition on the lower end of the register.

Strings are a bit of a mixed bag... I like flats on my (regular scale) MiJ 62'RI P... but i actually have found that i prefer rounds on my shorties. Specifically, i tend to use short scale DR Sunbeams, and i like them a lot!

In any case, mess around with your amp's EQ a bit before you go out and drop $$$ on new strings. :bassist: