Shortscale Squier Vintage Modified Mustang....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

This seems to be a slightly better bass guitar than the
    Jag SS and the P-bass short......

From Axe Music it's about 100 bucks more than the JagSS

Anybody play one?

Pros?

Cons?
  2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

I played one recently and was very impressed. Comfortable to play, nicely balanced, lively and musical. If you plan to mod, the Jaguar SS may be a better choice because of the standard bridge and pickups; otherwise, if you plan on staying stock, the VM Mustang is an excellent choice, IMO.

The VM series from Squier just oozes excellence. One of the best values in the mass-produced guitar world, if you ask me.
  3. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

+1 on everything selowitch said!

I bought my 2013 VM `Stang online for a bargin-busting $239.00 NIB(free shipping) and absolutely love this bass!! IMHO,the "Duncan Designed" OEM Mustang-style pickups sound quite nice.Fit,finish,overall quality and detail are much,much nicer than one would expect for a 'budget' bass.

Love the short scale.I only wish Squier offered more of a choice in body colors,pickguard colors,etc. I couldn`t be happier with mine!

:)
  4. MakoMan

MakoMan

The Squire Mustang is a great bass. But is it slightly better than the Jaguar SS? I personally don't think so. It is slightly more expensive but not necessarily better.
    Depending on your actual needs either is a great choice. They both give excellent bang for the buck, the Jag slightly more so only because they practically give it away.
  5. selowitch

They are both good buys. Some possible advantages of the Mustang include a string-through bridge, superior electronics, and a basswood (rather than agathis) body. I personally would rather have the Mustang.
  6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I've never played the Squier, but my CIJ Fender Mustang is the shiznit.
  7. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

I believe you 100%,agent77,seriously...no sarcasm here...just envy,jealousy,bitterness....lol j/k

Before I bought my Squier I was outbid on a sweeeet mid-late 2000`s MIJ Fender Mustang.Man,I was hating life,but...

What pickups are in those MIJ Fender re-issues,btw?

HosMan
  8. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I would have had one years ago if only there was a rosewood board option. Better still, a white/tort finish
  9. selowitch

I wonder if it's possible to tell easily when a particular Fender/Squier model was first introduced (without doing a lot of forensics).