Shostakovich Symphony No 5, Movement 3

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by jazzcat_13, Mar 27, 2014.

1. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

My High School orchestra has begun working on Shostakovich's 5th, the 1st and 3rd movements. In the 3rd movement at rehearsal mark 90 is that screaming divisi part. There are only 3 basses in my section, so I'm considering to play both parts. They are mainly in thumb position. My conductor has given me the okay to try this. Would anyone recommend this? Thanks for any help! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395947842.296559.jpg
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

very pretty. I like Bernstein's w/ NY PHil. good luck
  3. eerbrev

eerbrev

Edit: Go with what mike said. Ask your conductor which note is more important.

Previously I said:

I guess it depends on how confident you are in thumb position and how good your pitch is up there. If you decide not to, figure out which note has less representation in the orchestra and play that one.
  4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Most of the orchestras I have played this in recently prefer them to be separated. Playing them as double stops can provide intonation problems, but it is also a colour issue as well. Your top string is going to sound different than your D string and the rest of the section as well.

My vote is divide.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eerbrev

eerbrev

Agreed. I think that this is sound reasoning.
  7. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

It does make great sense dealing with the timbre. Thanks for the input Mike.
  8. David Potts

David Potts

Try two players on the bottom and one on top. I agree that separated notes always sound better. The upper note will always cut through well provided that you adjust bow speed and contact point on the string.

DP