Should an apprenticeship be a High School elective

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 21, 2014.

?

Should an apprenticeship be offered as a high school elective?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2014.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. After graduation

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. and of course the obligitory "carrots"

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Here were I live in the U.S. an apprenticeship in a trade is not an elecive in high school. Some kids have no plans to go on to college and might be better served as an apprentice in a good trade. Not all of us are going to be academics and there is no shame in being a master craftsman.
    After kids get a rudimentery education in math, reading, history, geography etc, we might want to let them get hands on experience working a trade. Maybe still offer some academics that would support that trade. For instance Geometry is a good thing to know if you are building a house.
    Maybe where you live they already have this. If so, how does it work out?
    So what do you say?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Aren't there already classes that prep students for trades (i.e. auto shop, metal shop, etc,)?
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

It'd be a good idea, I think.
    Our educational system is a mess, and produces high school graduates with little to no skills, and even less in intelligence. For the most part.
    It would be great to start those students with no aspirations of higher education on a path to build their skills in a trade and open up job opportunities other than minimum wage jobs after graduation.

Those classes are being phased out. No auto shop in my high school, but we did have wood and metal shop. Even then, these were just classes, and nothing like an actual apprenticeship.

IIRC, in some European countries they start students on a trade around the age of 15 if they do not have plans to go to uni.
  4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

One of things I did after hearing from our fellow members from Norway is to check out the differences between their education, which ranks top. And the US which ranks, let's just say not top.

Besides the demographics which we're stuck with they put half their students in what might be called trades. They actually learn to work and do a job. It may be an honest job that requires real work but they are capable of earning a living upon graduation.

The kind of job few in the US want. Speaking with people from the Father Land many of them seemed to do something like an apprenticeship. Sometimes in lieu of high school.

This prepares them for a job when the are adults. Often at the same company where they trained.

Everyone comes out ahead.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I think addressing the problem at high school is less efficient. Personally, I think we're better off deciding for them at the moment of fertilization who should end up in which caste-- for the sake of the argument we can call them "alpha" through "gamma." "Alphas" will be at the top, give them classes that can give then the tools they'll need to run society, while the lowly "gammas" who probably were exposed too much alcohol during the decanting process will prefer to take on menial tasks and will only require menial training to perform them. Why give the lower castes more than they need?
  7. slobake

Is this a rare moment of lucidity or something else? :bag: :p
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    It's been a while since I've been lucid, this is mostly plagiarizing.:p
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Getting rid of shop classes in high schools? That's disappointing if it is true. I took wood shop, auto shop, and metal shop in high school. I have practical skills in my life that I still use 25 years later from those classes.

-Mike
  10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I took wood shop, and we had metal shop but I had heard they were getting rid of it.
    They had already phased out Auto Shop by the time I got there in 1998.
  11. tplyons

tplyons

Around here, we no longer have auto shop or wood shop in my high school, however, we send those students to county vocational technical schools for half days or several days a week. They do their core classes in their local high school, and get turned to the county for trades.

I think it's a viable alternative.
  12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I personally think it's a good idea. I also took all the shop classes I could, and was offered to go 1/2 days to a 2 year vocational school during 12th grade (76'). I had mornings there, and came back to high school afternoons for the required classes (to graduate). I only had 1 year to go after graduation until I completed the course, and got hired. I stayed in those fields throughout the 90's.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Those classes are long, long gone in most schools. So is home ec, and music classes are next on the chopping block. We have laid so many social agendas on schools that it's pitiful...and they force out the "applied" classes.

One result of this is the number of people who can't even change the washer in a faucet after they buy a home. I took those same classes (wood shop, auto shop, home ec) and all benefited me.
  14. slobake

I tooks shop classes in school as well. I learned some things, mostly that I wasn't a natural with tools. Those classes really didn't prepare me for jobs in the construction industry I had later. I was able to do okay at it but I probably had to work harder than some guys at things that required skill. When it came to plain old hard labor playing sports in hight school prepared me for that more than anything else. I was a great with a pick and shovel. :p
    I don't know what things we should offer apprenticeships in. It doesn't have to be in the consruction industy.
    I would have loved to apprenticed with someone like Isaac Asimov as writer. That would have been awesome. :hyper: Maybe someone else could apprentice with a master sculptor or an I.T. person.
  15. elgecko

elgecko

Shows how long it's been since I was in high school. :p

The other high school in my district even had an actual restaurant on campus that was operated by students. I wonder if it's still going.
  16. slobake

I had a friend who got expelled from high school for organizing a sit in. At least he was the scape goat (that's another story). They forced him to go the the Business Technology Campus. He took Aeronautics Mechanics. He loved it and did well in that trade after graduation.
  17. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Man, I was so glad when I took metal, wood, and auto shops in high school. We had two levels of Auto, and three of wood and metal that you could take. I'm glad I did, because they have paid off, along with working on a farm from age 12 to 18. Having those classes and experiences have been helpful in many ways over the years, though I do feel the need and want to brush up on a lot of them. I still turn wrenches on my cars, and do a little here and there around the house, but not as much as I want to be doing.
    By the way, I graduated in 2004. I don't know if those classes are still offered at all, as I haven't touched base with anyone from that area since I left in 2009. And I took the home ec courses, which kicked off a short run at working in a couple of different restraunts over 2.5 years. Those skills I still use on a regular basis too.
    It's sad to hear that these classes are going away, along with music classes. I feel bad for my nephew who'll be starting his schooling in a couple of years... I'll gladly teach him everything I know that the school doesn't, though :).
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh yeah, I remember home ec. I learned about cooking, sewing, and caring for children. I still remember making banana bread and fruit leather. One of the sewing projects was to make a pillow shaped as the first letter of our name. I've since moved on and enhanced my culinary skills, but some of the very things I learned sewing that "M" pillow I had to use a couple years ago when the cuff on my dress pants ripped while I was out of town for work.

I also remember taking a class called Consumer Math. I had some really smart friends who took calculus and AP algebra type classes who laughed at me for taking the easy way out with Consumer Math. Heck man, I learned a ton in that class. We got a fictitious bank account that we had to manage through the entire semester. I even signed up for Consumer Math II second semester since I found the class so beneficial.

So congratulations to my uppity friends who know more about the L'Hôpital's rule than I do. I know how to balance a checkbook. :D :D

-Mike
  19. slobake

That sounds like a great class.
  20. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I, too, feel that we need to focus more on trades in HS. An apprenticeship would be great IMO. We had a woodshop, autoshop and home ec at my school. By my senior year I think woodshop and home ec were gone. Even when they were there, college prep courses and the like were promoted fervently by the counselors, but oh yeah you can do autoshop or something if you want
  21. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

My home school district also does the half-day vocational-technical school thing for certain students. I was actually a business track student in high school, which has been very beneficial to me. Knowing how to actually type has paid off 50x in my professional, academic, and personal life. And even though it's been a while, I can do some basic accounting. Sadly, from what I understand, my high school no longer offers a business track curriculum.