should i be worried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by youngdog4, Oct 31, 2013.

1. youngdog4

youngdog4

Hey All, before i start I just wana say thank YOU (yes you) for all of your help with different situations. gotta love the support in these forums.

Back to the bass now. I bought this awesome early 80's, 70's ri fender p bass a few months ago. i love it to death, the action is beautifully low and it is ridiculously light. It was definitely a player before i got my hands on it (came with built in mojo, what's not to love) but i have never seen this kind of wear on a neck before... its like the finish is chipped along 3 frets and i don't know if i should have anything done to it to fix it. i'll include pics if i can figure it out. haha

Attached Files:

2. youngdog4

youngdog4

a couple more for fun

Attached Files:

3. youngdog4

youngdog4

a couple more for fun!

Attached Files:

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

all of my basses have some finish relic on the underside of the neck/fingerboard. i wouldn't count out that it may someday relic up onto the fingerboard like that. i cant really tell from your pic if it is chipping or just wear through the finish.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

oh, and that is a beautiful precision, sir :)
  7. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

My 78ish p bass has similar wear on the fretboard. It was like that the day I got it some 15 years ago, and it has not been an issue. YMMV of course...
  8. youngdog4

youngdog4

Thanks! I really love it. I had decided that i would be a purely 5 string guy... then I saw this for 300 at a local shop. I figured i could turn it around for some quick cash... Now you'd have to pry it out of my dead hands.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Somebody just played it a whole lot right there, perhaps.
  10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

What frets are those? I'll bet those are down near the nut - the money notes. That's just wear from fingers.
  11. youngdog4

youngdog4

it's the 5th to the 7th frets, so not necessarily in the box but def a high play time area.
  12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

That's it, then. I see older maple fretboard basses with that kind of wear all the time. Just finger friction wearing the finish off. No problems. It shouldn't affect the viability of the neck, but if you're worried you could always get a lacquer pen from Stewmac and do some touchup.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I'm saying it's wedding ring rash. No issue whatsoever.
  14. thunderstation

thunderstation

I have a 73 precision just like that - I bought it new - and the flaking after about a year - however it got to a point about like yours and it stopped -40 years later it hasn't increased any
  15. mongo2

mongo2

No biggie. No worries.