Should I buy an Acoustic 370?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ramiro773, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ramiro773

Ramiro773

So I've been searching for one for a few months. I've never played one but have heard them at shows and they sound dope. I just got some questions.

A) is it loud enough? I know they have the reputation of being loud, but I don't know if that's exclusive to the matching cabs that go with the head? I use an edens 15 and gk 410.

B) how's the head room? I like to use pedals and I don't want the bass amp to distort... I like little grit but not full on distortion.

C) Is $400 plus shipping too much? Its fairly clean. I've seen it on ebay $290 - $350. Some people tell me that $450 ish is too much but I'm not sure how the market is for them...

Thanks...

2. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

When gigging, I use the 370 as a backup. Obe of the nicest amps I own. I bought it off EBay, was in decent shape, took it my Amp guy who checked it from top to bottom, I re-tolexed the case, changed the corners and it now looks like a brand new 40 year old amp.

MORE than enough headroom for me. I don't use many pedals, but I can't see them as a "problem".

I would occasionally play it with the 610 cab, and the Heritage 810. It kills.

As to the price...I've seen them going anywhere from $200 for fairly beat up models to $400-450 for decent shape models. I was recently offered $500 for mine and I turned it down.

Other than the usual cautions, I would tell you to have it checked out as soon as you get it. Remember, they ARE old babies!

Good Luck to you!! :D

[​IMG]

3. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

See if they will do 400 shipped. 400 even isnt a bad price for a nice amp, and you certainly cant go wrong with a 370 or anything else from Acoustic Control Corporation. As long as the head is being run at 4 ohms, it will be bone crushingly loud. I dont own a 370 but i do have a 300 power amp that i use with one of my 360 preamps to play out of other cabs. the 300 power amp is the same amp section as a 370 and it gets plenty loud, even through a single 15 or 2x10. When you run these amps at 2 ohms is when they really open up and bring down the walls.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

In a perfect world (one where I have not only a personal team of roadies to cart my gear, but also a personal 20,000 sq.ft. warehouse to store my gear in when not gigging) I would absolutely own an Acoustic 370/301 stack

...but I don't think I would bother with just a 370 head. There's something about the synergy of the 370/301 stack that's delectable, but the few times I've used a 370 into a different cabinet I've been really surprised at how un-delectable it's sounded.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Yeah, but he does have the nearly impossible to find white EQ slider ends. Very nice. BTW - I can give you info on getting "so close that you can't tell it's not original" knobs that I just got for one of my 370s recently, if interested. :cool:

8. xander8280

xander8280

Used to use one all the time. It's very loud, but it's very old school. Won't be getting much "modern" tones out of it. Nice bass head though. Don't need to worry about the correct ohm matching. Plug and play, 2 ohms will yield more wattage though.

9. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I once paid (something like) 37 bucks for replacement knobs that didn't come close to the originals....Thw white sliders were already intact so no problem there but, what the hell, Fender - ACC - they do the job! :D

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Can't argue with that! One of my favorite heads. Perfect with the ACC 301 and Sunn MV18 cabs. :)

11. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

The 370 really likes the ACC 408 4x15 cabinet!

12. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

yes, i noticed the EQ sliders. he's either got a one in a million amp where he has the originals, or he found some nice replacements.

if you have a good source for the knobs, i'm all ears. i have all the knobs for my amps, though some are scuffed and stick out like a sore thumb.

13. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

See this thread on the unofficial Acoustic forum. Follow the links there to the near perfect 270/370 replacement knob available from Newark. Be sure to note the possible need for a longer set-screw. Maybe Oren can comment on whether that was needed or not.

14. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

The sliders are original.

15. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I bought those same knobs, thinking that they would be fairly close to the originals - they are not. They were way too large for the amp. I've still got them in my hardware box. ;)

16. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

I could be mistaken, but I believe the knob you're talking about is the supposed replacement that was posted about over there a couple of years ago. I was incredulous, since the spec'd dimensions on that knob didn't match what were on my 270 and 370 amps. That knob was also way more expensive.

The spec'd dimensions on this different version do match, and if you followed the links in my post over there, at least one person ordered them and confirmed they matched. Maybe when Oren checks back in over here he'll let us know if this later version is the one he ended up getting.

17. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Very well could have been. It seems like it was 2 or 3 years ago. I purchased them and when they arrived I thought "Yikes"!! They weren't remotely close....maybe I'll check those out although I'm not a stickler about the knobs.

Thanks!

18. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Yeah guys, I bought 8 of the Newark ones. A new set for each of my 370's. Although only missing one knob, I figured I'd get a full set for both heads. These are near identical to the original. The only differences are that they are attached by set screw (actually two set screws) and the shiny end cap is just a tiny bit smaller in circumference. The original shiny end cap goes pretty much flush with the ribbed main body, while the Newark one has a bit of an edge that the cap doesn't cover. Here's the kicker - both heads are original, but one has a bit larger shaft for these controls than the other. So, for the 1976 head, perfect fit as purchased. The other head, a recent purchase, (year unknown since the plate on the back is missing and I've not been inside of yet) the shafts are a bit larger than the other head. Might be able to ream out the knob just a bit and give it the clearance to fit. Just haven't had time to try that.

The SKU # is 29C0178. Ironically enough, these were actually made and shipped from Gaffney, SC, a mere 30 minute drive from where I live. And no, you can't go there and buy stuff - I checked.

In any event, if your 370 has the smaller shafts, these knobs will work perfectly. Jury is still out on being able to ream them out for the larger shafts.

Heading to the guitar show in Charlotte Saturday, so the fun begins in a few hours. Always looking for cool stuff and parts. Never know what you might stumble across. :cool:

19. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

That's very strange about the shafts, Oren. All the shafts I've ever seen on Acoustic amps were standard 1/4" (6.35mm) diameter with double-flatted shape and push-on knobs. I have seen someone say there were 370s with pots that had round shafts and set screws, but I've never encountered one.

These replacement knobs are for 1/4" shafts, so they should have fit both. I'm wondering if the pots in that amp where they're too tight were replaced somewhere along the line.

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Upon further review, I agree with you JB - very strange. It seems that the pots are correct, but the knobs, even though visually identical in every way to the other 370's, have a little larger diameter interior "female" slot where the shaft wedges on. A metal clip type device was on each and every one of the shafts giving it that little extra width for the knob to wedge on. These clips slid right off the shaft and I was able to install the new knobs without incident. One mystery solved, another created. At least in this case, the mystery created didn't cause me to have to do extra work for the new installation. Oh well! Bottom line is that the new knobs are so, so, so close, most would not notice and installation is as easy as tightening set screws. :cool:

21. sanderic

sanderic

My 370, inspection sticker dated July 72, has the knobs with an interior metal clip that slides over the shafts, and is set with a screw. However, three of the four knobs are broken, so I need replacements myself. I do have three of the original white sliders.
    My concern with buying a 370, is what will it really cost you? You might pay $400 plus shipping ( and that head weighs 45 pounds) only to discover the amp needs new caps. I'm no electronics guru, but folks I've talked to tell me (first the bad news) that none of the original caps are still manufactured but (now the good news) all modern replacements are far superior. The problem comes with who does the work; if you have to pay someone to figure out all the replacements, and I believe there is an unofficial Acoustic website that lists all of them, you could be looking at a very hefty repair bill. I really would like someone to come on this thread and post a "here's your worst case scenario total rebuild cost", then factor in shipping, both ways, plus the price you paid for the head to begin with, now you know what that amp really cost, and would you do better to buy something else?
    I agree with a previous post, the true glory of the 370 is pairing it with the 301 cabinet.
    Now lets look at some things: the original 370 head put out about 200 watts into a four ohm cabinet, and yes, the 301, with original Cerwin-Vega, was a 4 ohm cabinet ( ok, I know it's really 3.7, but I'm rounding off), point is, you can buy a GK MB200 ( 200 watts into 4 ohms) for $250.00 and have a good reliable amp with warranty. Now for all the folks yelling "run it at 2 ohms", this would require two 301 cabinets, and depending upon local noise ordinances, do you really want to spend the night in jail?
    For the uninitiated, two 301 cabinets will rearrange the neighbors furniture and china cabinets when you just get it to sounding good onstage. The only place left in this world for the old 371, is outdoor shows or large arenas. This is exactly why the it was discontinued back in 1978.
    Don't show me any hate, I love these old amps, I'm just facing reality.