Should I change my cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by georgegoodmanme, Feb 10, 2013.

1. georgegoodmanme

georgegoodmanme

I currently have a little mark iii pushing an acoustic 410 cab. I understand that I may be sinning a bit by using something other than a mark bass cab with my amp. I'm thinking of changing it out for something like the new york 121. How much of a difference do you all think this will make? I can't afford 4x10's so I'm a bit weary of going down to a 1x12.

I'm also lacking a compressor pedal and thinking of investing in the mark bass compressore rather than changing my cab. It's cheaper and definitely does a lot for tone. Anyone think I should just do that instead?
  2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Use whatever sounds good to your ears and supports the music best. I'm using a LMIII and a Seismic 215, sounds plenty good to me.
  3. SJan3

SJan3

After 4 tens, you might not get enough umph from 1 twelve. However, you will probably prefer the tone over the Acoustic cab. Also, a little VLE on the head will add a sense of compression. I don't use compressors personally. Tough call but I'd lean towards the Markbass cab or other quality cab.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I don't get a good sense of your tonal goals. What about your sound do you not like? What do you wish it had? What music are you playing? In what context? I can't see how anyone can make any meaningful recommendations without understanding that first.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SJan3

SJan3

Sounds to me like he wants to tighten up his tone.