1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I do it? My Geddy for this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

This dude was offering me his MIM Fender P Bass and cash for my Geddy Lee CIJ model

I THINK his is a Mike Dirnt precision bass, which really is a nice shape and sound.

Not a fan of Green Day as much, but IDK....a CIJ for an MIM + cash? I DO need money right now but I don't wanna sell my Geddy either...:(
  2. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

More pics.

I did research and it is most likely the MD precision bass, not the road worn series. BAII bridge, CS '59 pickups, that tele body, that tele headstock...even the frigging logo..
  3. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

If your concern is price alone, he should give you some cash. Tone wise......I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  4. exidor

exidor

why not,a good bass and money are good things to have,
  5. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

He said he's financially strained ans $180 is all he could get. My CIJ is definitely worth more than his Mexican Fender, regardless of if it's a signature model or not. Should I ask for more?

I do need cash but I don't want to turn him off from the deal anyways
  6. exidor

exidor

go for $200 & call it a Green day,yes a bad pun.
  7. Humbled

Humbled

I've had two MIM Dirnt P's.

The one I bought used in 2007 (mfg year unknown to me) is a dang good bass, if a wee tad heavy. Good neck, great tone.

One I bought new about 2009 was not nearly as satisfying to me, chunkier neck and so-so tone, so I got rid of it.

I chalk it up to the variability of Fender.
  8. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

That's a toughie. I say only do it if you really like the Dirnt better.
  9. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I see you up on this deal at $180, but that is my humble opinion. I wouldn't do that trade for more than $125 difference. I'd walk away at $200 difference for sure.
  10. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I like both and I've been lusting after the Geddy for quite a while only to have it sort of lose the "lust" feeling after playing it for a week.

If the neck had been thicker, like an MIM's neck, I'd have kept it. I thought I liked the super thin neck of the Geddy more, but I realized it sounds too bright and twangy, even with preamp and effects. I love my MIM jazz to the death and love the thick neck of it in comparison to the Geddy.

Then again, I love the maple/black inlay and binding look.

GAH.
    I think I'll do it. If he says no to $200 then no problem. I don't have a problem keeping it.
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

He said also we could flip a coin; if I won he'd do $200. If he won, it'd be $150. What kind of person does that?
  12. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

That's too funny, LOL. I've seen it on Pawn Stars, or when I've played who is the designated driver tonight.
  13. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

You'd be getting a better bass AND a couple hundred. Not a bad deal.
  14. dmusic148

dmusic148

Seems like a no-brainer as long as you like the P bass sound. You hint that you like a thicker neck, good, and it's probably a pound or two lighter than your Ged. But it's a way different sound. My favorite sound, but it's not like a J at all.
  15. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

I'd go for it... especially since you have another Jazz that's admittedly more playable.
  16. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

I'd do it to that p is slick
  17. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Too/ also^
  18. awilkie84

awilkie84

Why? They retail for practically the same amount &, contrary to what the fanboys will say, the MIM artists series are every bit as good as teh CIJ.
  19. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you like the P better than the Geddy, go for it. As mentioned above, the prices are right in the same ballpark, so the cash is a bonus.
  20. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Yeah I guess.

I did mention it on the "bass you've always wanted until you play it" thread. I started to not like the geddy. I'd love to have that neck if it were thicker but I'm no customer shop builder. And my church worship team requires something...with a bit more punch.

I admit. I lied. I did like Green Day and Mike Didn't but not these days. And if not now to get that signature bass, then wehre else?

Question though, where can I get a replacement pickguard for that bass without having to order one from fenders recently upped pricing