Should i get a gk700rbII?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eds3293, Jan 8, 2013.

?

should i get it?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. yes

82 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. eds3293

eds3293

Alright so i need a loud amp and a cab for like metal and punk i'm playing a 5 string and there's two guitarists and a drummer that uses double pedal a lot i want something that will last me forever and i would be able to play at small gigs and practice but i'm on a budget i only wanted to spend about $400 which is why im hesitant.

a guy on craigslist made a deal with me that he would sell me the gk700rbII with a gk210blx and a gk410blx for $600 should i do it? what would you guys do? is it a good deal?

Attached Files:

2. Zitch

Zitch Don't Slap the Cheesecake! Supporting Member

Media:
    The head is awesome and will last you a lifetime, but I would pass on those cabs for that price.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sell off the cabs and get better ones. The 700RB II is a killer amp but the cabs are entry level. Talk him down some because of the cabs.
  4. eds3293

eds3293

cool, thanks he said he wanted 400 for the head alone would it be best just to get that?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'd offer him $300 for the head.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 great amp, mediocre (at best) cabs. Not to mention, assuming both cabs are 8 ohms, the 210 will be getting TWICE the power per spkr vs the 410. Not a good pairing, and not the best cabs anyway. See what he'll take for the amp alone, and find a used 810, or 215 and you'll be happy.
  8. B-string

Looks like $400 is about Guitar Center's used prices. They would buy for about $200. So offer him $350. that is $150 more than GC would give on purchase/trade.
  9. TC.65

TC.65

I would try to talk him down a little on the head and pass on the cabs. I used to own the 700rbII and they are excellent heads. It'll be the loudest 480 watts you'll ever hear with a great tone.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Offer $300. Anything above $325 for the head is too much unless you don't care about resell value. GC (almost) always values their used gear too high.
  11. eds3293

eds3293

cool yea ima see if he'll drop the price on the head or i'll probably just sell the cabs
  12. B-string

Keep in mind you can probably get $200 to 275 out of the two cabs?
  13. IPYF

IPYF

I'd just take it for the time being. If I could get that rig for $600 over here I'd be wetting myself like an excited dog.

The others are dead right about the cabs. You wouldn't want to be rolling the 5-string contour into those cabs for that long, especially the 210, at higher volumes. Flog the cabs and get a single high sensitivity 410. A Hartke HyDrive would be perfect for that head.
  14. TC.65

TC.65

B-string is right you could get a little money out of those cabs. If you buy the whole rig and decide to use it be careful cause that head will blow both those cabs in a minute. I was running mine with the GK212 Neo and had an awesome tone. It was also very loud to be only 320 watts at 8 ohms.
  15. IPYF

IPYF

Safest route would be to never plug the 210 in at all and just play with the 410 for the time being. I don't know the rating of that 410 but it should be able to handle the head's output at 8 ohm just fine, as long as you don't goose anything.
  16. tdub0199

tdub0199

Those heads sell for about $325 used.... Great head though!!!!!!
  17. lemmiseemo

lemmiseemo

I play in two hard rock/metal bands. I just bought a GK 700RB-ll new, but got it for $100 less at Guitar Center cause it had been there for a while & had some scratches on it. I absolutely love it. I got it with a GK NEO 410 cab. Great over all tone. I has a great low end without sacrificing the highs & mids.
    My first gig with it I only had the volume at about 10am and the sound man ****. I had to turn it down to 9am. lol.
    It has a setting for 4 or 5 string that you might find interesting.
    Whether you go with this deal or not, I'd highly recommend the 700RB-ll.

Here's a link for the manual if you'd like more info:
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_482587.pdf
  18. banskevie

banskevie

Talk him down some because of the cabs.[​IMG][​IMG]
  19. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Can't speak to the cabs, but the advice about the 700RB is right on.