Should I get a qtron if I have an AW-3 now

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

The envelope filter looks pretty sick, but I have an aw now..any use for qtron?
  2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    One thing, envelope filters are very different from pedal to pedal. Lot's of parameters in the circuit, lot's of design decisions the makers make and "bake in". One huge difference is band-pass vs low-pass, for example, although even two different low-pass filters can sound very different. So the QTron may be much better for your use, or maybe not, and other's experience will only be tangential because different basses, strings, EQ, amps, and playing styles all impact how an EF works for a given player.

I own quite a few different EFs and I have a hard time letting go of some of them because they have a sound the others can't cop. That said, I did sell my AW-3, and I held on to my QTron+.

I would say the Qtron may be something you like, but if at all possible try before you buy. Also, buy used if you can, you can probably pass along the one you favor less. Or maybe you'll be like me and want to keep them both for different sounds.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

I own both.
    Don't really care for the AW-3, there are better pedals.
  4. Cyed

Cyed

+1,
    yeah, you should start to try another envelope filter pedal.. there are so many pedals better than aw-3...

i think micro q-tron is a good start...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Media:
    I had the AW-3. I liked it, but I currently have the Russian EHX Bassballs and I don't see myself swapping it out any time soon.
    But if you like the Boss, stick with it. Otherwise, as with anything, try before you buy if possible.
  7. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I have the nano baseballs..can't really find a use for it...only very subtely on anesthesia
  8. Swift713

Swift713

The Q-tron is my favorite analog envelope filter thus far. Miles and miles beyond the AW.
  9. Cyed

Cyed

you should listen; RHCP - Sir Psycho Sexy, MUSE - Plug In Baby, Silverchair - Israel's Son, Pink Floyd - Empty Space.. ;)