1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should I get rid of my GK 1001 RB?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnnyPARKER, Jan 10, 2014.

1. johnnyPARKER

johnnyPARKER

I'm gassssing for a micro head--- something light portable and powerful. I'm leary of getting rid of my GK 1001 RB MKII as it is a more traditional/conventional head and I'm not sure how durable the micro heads are. However, money is a factor to me. If I sell my head I can easily get a good micro head. If I decide to keep it, my purchase may be delayed by 2 months or so. I'm in a quandary!!!! Advice please!!!!!!!!!! Is it better to be patient, and keep the GK and pick-up a smaller head, or could I safely buy a microhead with little regrets in term of reliability, durability, and performance.

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I understand GAS and own a few heads myself, but I wouldn't dump that head for any micro-head because it's a solid piece of gear! Can you sell something else and buy a micro for a backup? That's a favorable action, IMO.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Wait, yes most micro class D have become very stable like the G-K MB series and a few others but it would still be a new amp that can suffer from infant mortality (unforeseen component failure during the warranty period). You have a solid amp right now. If you can hang on to it for at least the first year of a brand new amps life you won't have to scramble to find a backup should it fail. True with any brand out there, anyone's can "poop the bed". That said the G-K micros (MB series) seem to have a very low failure rate IME.

4. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

I'd hang onto your 1001RB as a backup incase your new amp was to have issues. Spend as much money as you can on the new micro and make sure you try a load of them. Happy amp hunting!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am pretty sure you would lose a lot of $ on the used market for a 1001. If you love it, I would personally start squirreling away some extra cash and get a new second head. I am always a big proponent of renting, it can allow to try stuff in your normal playing situations without having to lose a bunch of cash on a head you do not like.

7. MIMike

MIMike

If you had to wait for SEVERAL months I might debate it, but if the wait in only two months...that's a no brainier. That 1001RB will make an awesome backup to you new micro!

8. Crabby

Crabby

The 1001 is a killer amp and I'm not sure that there is a micro on the market that compares at this point. As impressive as they are, the micros don't quite have the same feel as the big iron heads. I have owned the Shuttle 6, LMIII, TC BH250, GK MB500, Traynor Small Block and the Carvin MB250 and my Walkabout has more tone in spades then any of them!

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Selling your 1001 would be a mistake.

10. johnnyPARKER

johnnyPARKER

This is why I love TB... Great sound advice!!!!!! MY DECISION IS TO WAIT. Thanks for talking me off the cliff!

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Supporting Member

Have a micro head, but it could never replace my GK700rbII.
    Hands down my favorite amp!!!!!!

12. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I also have a GK700rbII and in my mind it is more or less a micro head that has the added quality of being a battle axe design with a time tested record of reliable service and is powerful, versatile, and has excellent tone (IMHO, of course!). I have mine mounted in an SKB 2 space X-Rack and it packs up small and is only 25 pounds racked ... a very reasonable one armed haul. Even the lightest 1x12 NEO cabs * are usually 25 - 30 pounds or more so what's the difference? ... it's not like you're going to be able to haul your whole rig dangling at the end of your pinky, anyway. I can see going for the featherweight micro units if you have extreme back problems and/or live in an urban environment and have unusually difficult load in/out situations and/or have to rely on public transportation. I think the 1001rbII is only a couple of pounds more than the 700rbII ... that's a helluva lotta amp for only 20 pounds or so. Maybe I'm old school and can still remember schlepping my glorious '71 Ampeg SVT/Sunn 2x15 loaded w/JBL K-140s rig on tour (and hauling my own gear) 275 nights a year for years on end so I guess it's all relative.

* I'm actually shopping around for a small, high powered 1x12 to go with my 700rbII to cover the house party, small club, coffee house types of gigs that seem to dominate my schedule these days.

13. B-string

Suggestion pbassnut, G-K NEO112!

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, keep it - and also buy a G-K MB amp too.

15. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip. I've heard a lotta good things about that cab ... plus it has the added advantage of being able to exploit the biamp feature of my 700rbII head. It's certainly in the running. * I'm keeping an eagle eye out for NEO 1x12s that might show up on the local used market here in the "greater" Washington, DC metropolitan area.

* Anybody have any experience with comparing the version I and II iterations of GK's NEO 1x12 cabs? I'm wondering which one is the better one to get and why.

16. Mortom27

Mortom27

I'll sell my svt-610 before I sell my 100rbII
    I say keep it

17. B-string

I don't think there much of a difference in tone, the series II's were made to stack better with other neo series cabs across the neo line.

18. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I would keep it for now. Once you get a micro then you can decide what to do with it. I had a 1001RBII for a while and it was a great amp. The main reason I bought it was because I picked it up on CL for only $250, but I quickly fell in love with the tone and power. However, once I got the MB200 as a backup I quit taking my RB to gigs whenever I could get by with less power. As much as I liked the RB I ended up selling it because I like having a lighter and smaller amp even more. You may decide the same thing, or you may end up keeping the RB too.

19. Troph

Troph

Honestly, unless you are severely disabled or have to carry your equipment long distances without transportation, I don't see why a ~18lb head is too cumbersome. My cabs are much more of a weight and size inconvenience than the amp head.

Get a micro head if you like the sound better, but if you're getting it for the form factor, you should really ask yourself whether that 12lb difference is really critical.

20. bgavin

bgavin

+1 to that.

You could drop your 1001 head into an SKB XRack2 at a paltry 6.40 pounds.
    I saved a lot more weight by moving away from my RoadRunner full ATA cases (25 pounds empty), into the plastic racks.

OP, if you want to sacrifice your 1001-II, there will be a line of buyers waiting.

21. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

The 1001RBII is actually 21.5 lbs. That's not including the weight of a rack, which many people use with this amp. I don't think you have to be "severely disabled" to want to have a lighter rig. I agree that if the OP loves the tone of the RB then weight should be less of a factor, but IMO you can find plenty of great sounding amps that weigh a lot less than 21.5 lbs.