1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Dec 14, 2013.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Well,my teacher wants to have a Jazz Band and he needs a bass player.I want to do it,but unfortunately I have REALLY low self esteem (I basically think I suck).

Should I just go for it? I'll audition by playing 4 songs (my staples),the Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin),Powerslave (Iron Maiden),Crossroads (Cream),Into The Void (Black Sabbath),and Oh! Darling (The Beatles).

My teacher might want us to play Purple Haze (Eaaasssyyyy) or Sunshine of your Love (Easy too)

Should I go for it? I'm reaaalllly shy and I think everyone is better than me (especially when I go to places like Guitar Center,I feel like a nobody).
    There are 2 other bass players who want to go for it and they look intimidating (they look like theyre good)

I can learn songs by ear (aka,no tabs) and I can read music.
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Go for it! It will be a great experience.
    Have some faith in yourself an your abilities.
    What does your teacher think?

I'm curious, though. If he wants a jazz band, wouldn't you need to play some jazz at the audition?
  3. spanndrew

spanndrew

4. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

He just wants guys that know how to play pretty much.He said we could audition with anything xD.
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Thanks for the response. I was simply curious.

Totally go for it! The only way to work on your self esteem is to play, come what may, and just always try your best.
  6. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Alright,hopefully something works out xD.
  7. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

Don't let the fear of sucking keep you from doing something.
  8. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

That's actually 5 songs, but hey who's counting. ;)

I say go for it. It's not like it's a job interview. The worst that can happen is he says no, which hopefully will inspire you to improve. You have a 50% chance of being accepted and trust me, in life, those are really good odds.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Wasn't that Confucius? ;)

Anyhow, sig-worthy, and +1
  10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

11. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Thanks guys :),I'll go for it.Are my picks for songs good or should I play something even harder? (These songs took me like 1-2 days to figure out and 2 weeks to master).I've been playing for about 1 year and a half.
  12. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I'll give it a shot :).Will these songs be like enough or should I learn something a bit more flashy? A guitar center employee ruined my confidence x(
  13. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Guitar Center employees ruin a lot of things. Don't worry about them.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If you don't try it you will always wonder what would have happened if you had auditioned. Go for it. If you don't get it, use it as a learning experience. Ask the person who is holding the auditions what they feel you need to do to improve your chances of getting into a band in the future.
  15. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

It was when I barely started playing a year ago x(,one guy from guitar center said I sucked when I tried out the big amps to see how good/clean they sounded.
  16. spade2you

spade2you

Try out AND set reasonable expectations. Jazz band might be a little challenging with a year of experience. It might require a lot of practice. Difficult songs don't mean that you suck. They're just difficult.
  17. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I have LOADS of patience,I can literally sit 5 hours playing and not get frustrated. I'm trying out tomorrow,I'll get back on how it goes.
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

You should definitely go for it.

I was in the exact situation back in high school only I bailed and it is a decision I have always regretted.

Give it your best shot and good luck!
  19. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

EPIC.

Yeah whenever I go to music stores to try out their basses, I see other guys slapping and popping and doing crazy amount of stuff on a bass.....making me feel like a total noob.

Then I realize you don't have to slap or pop or do crazy stuff to be considered good.
  20. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

The Lemon Song is one of your staples...you CAN'T suck. Go for it !