1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should I ground my hifi system?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Electricblue, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good Christmas!

My Hifi system is not grounded, as all of the components have a 2-core mains lead. I don't have any hum or noise at present (Xmas pun intended :D) so should I bother? It may be grounded somewhere, because most of my audio stuff is connected together in one way or another...

Again, have a rockin' Christmas everybody! :bassist::bassist:

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Nah, don't bother, a little bit of electricity won't hurt THAT much.

Joking of course, but then again this is a joke thread.
    Right?

Regards
    Sam

3. Electricblue

Electricblue

Not really a joke thread... But ok.

4. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Well, if you live anywhere that lightning is a regularity - Yes, if you value your equipment (and include decent surge protection).

* Direct strikes blow things whether plugged in or not. It just came miles through the air, if it decides to jump to your equipment it's going to, that little piece of electrical cord means nothing.
    * Power surges happen, thus the protector, why take chances?
    * Close strikes induce voltage, a much more common occurrence. You need the ground path to discharge rather than burn out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

If your hifi has been misbehaving, by all means, ground it, send it to its room without supper, and restrict its computer use.

7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I would put a surge protector I between it and the wall. You don't need to add an individual ground for every component. If everything is plugged into the same outlet, you won't have problems with a ground loop hum.

lowsound