should i increase my bass or guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NelsFaptha, Jan 4, 2013.

1. NelsFaptha

NelsFaptha

i have two very average bass guitars (a squier p bass and a yamaha) and a 15 watt fender bass amp. on the other hand, i have a NICE tom delonge signature stratocaster guitar but no amp for it. should i buy an amp for my guitar or go out and buy myself a nice fender bass for $580 or buy a 150watt bass amp??

ive been playing bass for 2 years, guitar for less than a week
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Buy a nice bass amp and play bass and guitar through it for the time being.
  3. GM60466

GM60466

buy the amp now.
  4. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Buy amp and good strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pringlw

pringlw

If you're jamming and playing parties/gigs - get the amp. If you're not there yet and still learning the instrument - get the better bass. Of course no guarantee that a Fender will be better than the Squire or the Yamaha. Make sure you play the bass and have found one that you absolutely love.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

A Squire P and Yamaha are more than enough bass, but a 15 watt amp is no amp at all! Mine are only suitable for driving headphones. A decent practice amp will be a combo of at least 70 watts. 150 even better. That lets you actually hear what you are playing in practice and it's still big enough to do small venue gigs and jam with quieter bands.

My practice amp is a Laney BC 75 combo. Works like a champ. AND I also use it for guitar. Even though it's a 1 x 15, it does guitar like a champ! (not all 1 x 15s will do that, however) Put a pedal board in front of it, and crank the bass EQ a bit and it does guitar like gangbusters. I like it expecially because it can bring out the low guitar notes like straight guitar amps won't. It works great for me because I'm not into screechy distortion like so many guitarists. If my bad monkey pedal won't do it, it doesn't get done.

So, you've been playing bass for 2 years with half a rig and you still have to ask "what do I buy?" You'll do well learning guitar.
  8. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Bass amp. My smallest practice amp is 100 watts. Basses suck power. You can use the bass amp for guitar, but not the other way around. Bass can damage speakers in a guitar cab and open backs are no good for bass repro.

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Agree on the strings too (depending on whats on there now).

I have spent enough on string experimentation to buy a nice bass. But they can affect tone more than pickups.
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yep. This!
  11. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

What do you want do with music? One can only play 1 instrument at a time. i suggest you pick one axe, spend money on that (a really good setup, for example, amp, strings) and play!
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Do what makes you happy... :rolleyes:

MM