1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I jump on this deal? Ampeg vb4h

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MP87, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MP87

MP87

I've read the threads about how the ampeg vb4h lacks clean volume/headroom at 100 watts. I have the opportunity to snag a used but not abused vb4h and svt 810e cab for a total of $650. I'm thinking this is a steal of a deal.

The few gigs I've done I always run into the pa and use my cab as a monitor, so the volume concern may not be an issue for me.

Could be my first tube amp...
  2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    killer deal on a great sounding setup!
    I thought it lacked the volume I needed for loud rock, but at that price I'd buy it just to have at the house!
  3. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

that's, in my opinion, an awesome price. you could always decide you don't like it and profit from the learning experience!
  4. woodsideh

woodsideh

If you don't get them let me know where they are and I will (LOL). But seriously, I think you will be very pleased with that setup.
  5. MP87

MP87

I think I'm sold on this. And it's V4BH.
    My bad.
  6. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Great deal. I'd buy the rig and flip it personally. :ninja:
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

8. kdogg

kdogg

The V4 is a great little amp. I had an early seventies version for a couple of months. When I got it, I had a full service done, tubes, caps, etc. Played it through an 810e and a Mesa 215. Both cabs sounded great with this head. However, one caveat, at 100 watts the V4 tends to venture into distortion quite quickly when trying to push through a couple of guitars and a drummer, even with a bigger cab. Although I really loved the tone at lower volumes, I found the V4 just didn't seem to have enough clean headroom for my needs. YMMV
  9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    What Kdogg says is pretty right on for the V4 and V4B. The V4BH is, although billed as a 'reissue', a completely different animal. It has many of the same sonic limitations, but it has a different character and demeanor. Kdogg could easily say much of the same things about the V4BH, but his experience while similar would have been of a different kind of 'similar'. Ive had both. The V4B is GLORIOUS but kicks into heavy overdrive easily. The V4BH has a BEAUTIFUL clean tone, but wont get as loud as the V4B can in overdrive. The breakup on the V4BH is a little more "break up" and less "heavy".
  10. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Mine sounds awesome!! A great sounding amp!!
  11. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

I had an early '70's V4B a few years ago and it was pretty killer with an old Ampeg 2x15. Definitely a lot of distortion at 'loud band' level though. Wonderful tone, killer mojo. Seems like high volume from the rig isn't a huge concern of yours.

If I found a similar deal I'd flip the cabinet and buy two SVT-210AV's... saw a picture of a V4BH on two of them here on TalkBass a few years ago and can't stop thinking about that setup!
  12. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    +1 for the V4(B) vs V4BH. I like my VT-22 (V4) much more than the V4BH. It was like an underpowered SVT with EL34 IMO/IME but again, it's a great deal. I'm not sure the V4BH would cut it for me and my groups where the vintage V4's will FWIW.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

Hmm, how much louder/more present is the v4/vt22 compared to the V4bh ?

BUY IT!!!! I would!
  14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Yeah, I see the listing for it too...don't worry, I'm in no position to move on it, and nor do I really want to. :)

I do think its a steal though - you could buy it and even flip to cab for almost a free amp, or turn them both around for a profit.

My vote - go for it!!!