1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I Keep 2006 P Bass or Buy my Friend's 2008

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo61, Feb 3, 2013.

?

2006 Sunset Orange Transparent or 2008 Olympic White

1. 2006 Ameerican Series Sunset Orange Transparent P-Bass

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. 2008 American Standard Olympic White

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. Harpo61

Harpo61

I have a 2006 Fender American Series P Bass in Sunset Orange Transparent that I love it is a great player weighs next to nothing. But now my buddy has offered me a 2008 American Standard that is like new never gigged for real cheap . I don't need 2 P Basses the bass is up in NY so I can't play them side by side and I hate to have him send it down to FL and I don't want it .
  2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

The grass is never greener on the other side.
  3. bass5str

bass5str Supporting Member

agreed and most importantly you "love it". please learn from me and don't let go of gear you love unless you need to for the sake of $$$ or keeping your partner happy :spit:

if anything (since it is cheap) pick it up and defret the 2008?
  4. AverageWhiteBassist

AverageWhiteBassist Supporting Member

Very true, but on reputation 2008 and later MIA Fenders are better made. I've owned many P's from 1964-2012 ('64, '75, '77, '02, '03, '04, '12) and to me the 2012 P I currently have is the one. Being said, if you are happy then you probably won't be happier-maybe just the same.
  5. grifo21

grifo21

You could have him send it to me... :bag:
  6. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

If it's that cheap buy it as a backup/beater.

If you love your SS orange (awesome color BTW) Newer or different isn't always better. Once you get on the G.A.S ride it's very, very hard to get off. Sounds like you already have a winner in the stable.
  7. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

+1
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

If you love it, keep it.
  9. Harpo61

Harpo61

P Bass is already a backup to my Jazz I am probably better of keeping what I have the Sunset Transparent is such a rare color and it is a Swamp Ash body which was a upgrade
  10. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I'd buy the other, compare side by side, and sell the one you like the least if you are dead set on only having one. I would not sell one to buy the other. Sounds like a risk one shouldn't take. Especially it the one he is selling is priced super low.
  11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Definitely keep the 2006.
  12. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

I didn't hear anything about the sunset having a maple board or the olympic having a rosewood board, but I could justify having a second if it brought something new to your sound. Since you have ash and the Olympic is likely alder, depending on the fretboard thing might be some variation for you. So what is the fretboard makeup on both? Would not recommend getting rid of your sunset - not only rare, but light is very hard to find. Could always sell the Olympic after a while anyways I suppose.
  13. Harpo61

Harpo61

Both are rosewood and mine is already the backup to my Jazz and I don't need 2 P-Basses . My buddy does not play his and it has never left the house . I might have him ship it down to FL and play them side to side then sell one of them .
  14. Baer

Baer

It's not a question of "need". The person who dies with the most toys wins. :D
  15. Harpo61

Harpo61

I not probably get rid of one and get a frettless Jazz I don't think I would want to start ripping frets out of them never been a fan of Frettless P's
  16. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

if you can't try the white one, keep the one you have, it's a known quantity that you say you love, Better that than taking the chance on what may or may not be a bass you will end up loving as much.
  17. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

If he's willing to do that, then maybe that would be your best course.
  18. Harpo61

Harpo61

I think I am going to keep it Sunset Orange Transparent are pretty rare and it is so light 8.4 Lbs