Should I Ruin My P.....with flats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osztertag2112, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Hey guys

I recently upgraded my mim p with a badass ii and a seymor duncun qp, and it sounds fantastic clean and with a little dirt. I enjoy using it with a pick to get some crunchy punk tones, but lately when i try to get more of a beefy fuzzy tone it sounds to messy and the lower notes seem to get lost. If i replace the rounds with flats will i be able to get a fat fuzzy tone (think grand funk railroad), but keep the nice mid punch its got now?

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

3. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Ill post some clips to show you what i mean

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

fuzz is notorious for dropping some of the key ingredients in your sound/your tone. try EQ first--my suggestion.

StuartV likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vin*tone

vin*tone

I don't think flats have ever been known to add clarity.

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

Not sure flats are gonna fix what you perceive to be wrong with your tone.

8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

If you want to sound like Mel, get a mudbucker pickup.

godofthunder59 likes this.
  9. bibimaru

bibimaru

Got the same issue using an mxr fuzz with my stingray. put a vt bass at the end of the chain : killer yet subtle grind with vt only, amazeballs with both. You can also go with another preamp or OD depending on ur taste! Hope it helps!

10. BrianToska

BrianToska

I use my 70s Classic reissue Precision with chromes and it gives me exactly what I need for punk tones. I use an electro harmonix bass blogger for my super dirty sounds and just crank the gain on my head for my usual grit. The flats keep the roundness and low end in my dirty tone IMO

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you are going for Mels tone flats are essential as is the Gibson Mudbucker. But if you are not up to installing a Mudbucker I think a Dimarzio model P pickup would get you closer than the SD quarter pounder. I like Labella deep talk'n flats for basses I put flats on.

12. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

If it does not sound good with rounds it won't sound good with flats. My guess: there could be a set up issue with your bass or your amp or the way you eq. You don't provide enough info to determine any of this.
    Personally I would neither recommend a Badass on a PBass (brings too much sizzling highs) nor a Quarter Pounder (because a pickup with too much bass and a very high level of output will kill the liveliness and clarity of your tone which is probably your problem BTW). I know some will disagree but that's my $0.02.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014