1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I sell my EBMM Sterling 4H?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shake-n-bake, Oct 20, 2013.

1. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

So a few weeks ago I bought an EBMM Sterling 4H for $900 of Craigslist. It is by far the easiest-to-play bass I have ever played. I think the tone is 'alright', but I've never been an active bass kind of guy.

I was looking around these forums a bit, and everyone is mentioning how amazingly thumpy a P-bass strung up with flats can be, and it started to make me wish the EBMM had a little more thump to it.

Given that I had just shelled out $900 for the new bass, I wasn't in a position to go pick up a P-bass. Last night, I went and saw Zappa Plays Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere 40th anniversary show, and the bass player had the nastiest tone I had ever heard - and of course he was playing a Precision.

Now I am GASsing for a P-bass like I've never GASsed before. I strung my Geddy Lee Jazz with a set of D'addario Chrome flats, 0.50 gauge, hoping to get a little extra thump. I'm thinking of selling the EBMM and getting an MIA P. What do you guys think? Will the P-bass satiate my appetite for low-end thump and growl?
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Thump perhaps. Growl? Not likely. I love P-basses and own several but my latest bass is a MM SR5 because I wanted a new 5 string and was bored with my Fenders, wanted the SR growl. Different strokes.
  3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

The Sterling definitely has "growl". Have you tried stringing some flats and cutting some treble on the active EQ on the Sterling yet?