1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should I sell or keep as backup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaser1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1

Hi everyone, I have finally decided on a new bass that I will be buying after Christmas. I am going to get an Ibanez sr750, and am wondering whether I should sell my current bass a Squier Matt Freeman P bass. My main reason for the change is the neck feel and overall comfort and versatility of the Ibanez. Every time I pickup and play an Ibanez Soundgear it just kind of speaks to me. The P is great overall, I just don't find it comfortable and its heavy.

As a currently non gigging, learning and playing for fun and jamming with friends type player is it better to have one go to bass that you just kinda bond with and focus strictly on the getting to be a better player, or will I kick myself for getting rid of the P. Money wise I would be better off selling but can manage to keep both financially.

Also as another question for anyone who plays a SR, I was between the 500 and the 750, but am kinda worried about the longevity of the finish on the 500. Any personal experiences with either would be great to hear.

Thanks!

2. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

If it's not a problem financially, why not keep it? Having a backup is always a good idea. I have a double gig bag and always bring two basses with me as an insurance policy.

Also, if the Freeman is your first bass, I'd say hang onto it for sure. I'm sentimental like that though... I still own my first bass, a '97 Ibanez SR400. I may not play 4-strings any more, but it's my first bass AND it has a P/J pickup config, which I don't think they do any more. :)

Just my $.02. :)

5sg.

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Welcome to the cult of Ibanez, brother! There are those of us who pick one up and--zing--it grabs us and doesn't let go.

If you had a gig every weekend I might counsel you to keep the Squire. You could bring it to gigs and tune it up just in case you broke a string or some other mishap befell your SR750. But since you're not doing that right now--and also because the Squire isn't much of a "collector" item--I say dump it.

I own the SR505, natural finish on the mahogany body. What's to worry? I haven't done so yet, but I'm just figuring on rubbing a little Howard's Feed & Wax on it every now and then to keep the wood conditioned. It's not like it's painted and can get scratched or chipped.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Keep it.
    Everyone needs a good P bass in their arsenal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

My first inclination is to recommend keeping it. But, then I read your post a little more carefully. You like the feel of the Ibanez SR series. As a player that is the opposite--I prefer Fender style necks, I can relate in a weird sort of way. I like the look, sound and weight of Ibanez SR basses...but not the feel of the neck. I could never be happy with one. You probably won't play the Freeman unless you have to, once you get the Ibanez. So what I'd do is sell the Freeman and later on pick up a used SR 300 as a backup. At least something that you enjoy playing.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

That SR750 looks pretty sweet!

I'd sell the Fender. You don't sound like you like it too much, and you state that although you don't need the money, you could use it.

The fact is, you can find a used P-bass just about anywhere if you decide later on you should have kept it.

I would just hold on to it for a few months after your new purchase, until you're SURE you like the Ibby better.

8. nurnay

nurnay

Agreed. ++

9. Chaser1

Chaser1

Thanks for all the responses! I think I am going to go with Bassist4Eris's idea and keep it for a few months. The weird thing is I have been in love with the look of Fender basses forever. I really like the look of the Freeman and was originally intending to get a MIM Fender Jazz as a step up and a different tone set, however as I went from store to store trying everything in my price range I could get my hands on, the one that stuck with me was the Ibanez for it fit and feel and overall sound. I have kinda struggled with it cause at first I wasn't a huge fan of the look and the association with all things Metal, but it just fit and as time has gone by I have grown to really like the look of them as well. I am going to keep searching, cause I havent hit every music store in my area yet. But I have kinda come to terms with the fact that I am an Ibanez guy.

10. yyz1963

yyz1963

I have an SR750 and found after playing it for a couple months I had a tough time playing my backup MIM Fender Jazz. Left hand was just so use to the sleek Soundgear feel. Trade your p-bass for an inexpensive Ibanez as a backup. My 2 cents.

11. yyz1963

yyz1963

Ibanez. Damn auto correct

12. jlepre

jlepre

KEEP IT!
    Unless it's financially IMPOSSIBLE.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

If a bass works for you and you can afford to own it, keep it. TB is full of posts of people saying they regretted letting a bass go.

14. prd004

prd004

NEVER sell gear unless you need the money.

The fact that you may need it someday as a backup is only one reason.

Someday you may want it as more than a backup.

Someday you may be gassing for a new piece of gear that you can't afford and that old amp or bass might help you acquire said piece of new gear.

Someday you may have a son or a nephew to give it to.

The gear you sell today for a small amount of cash could be worth a lot of money in the future! I've met plenty of people who sold a '62 Jazz in '74 or a '59 Les Paul in '71 not knowing they would be worth a fortune today!

If you need the money I feel you, I've sold plenty if gear during hard times, if you don't need the money, don't do it.