1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I stay or should I go now?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by podiumboy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. podiumboy

podiumboy

Have recently gotten back together with my old band after 4 years, yada yada yada. Things aren't really taking off the way I'd like, old habits are resurfacing, etc. I'm not sure I'm ready to throw in the towel or anything. I am the band leader of this project, kind of by default. Our old singer was the BL but he's not around anymore. We're trying to make this band a democracy, everybody gets a say. But a couple band members don't realize that we're actually trying to work up a setlist that can please a crowd, and suggest we play songs that are either slow/uninteresting, or too obscure for the general public (Beatles deep cuts, for example). I'm really trying to make it fun and democratic for everyone, but it's kind of a disaster.

THE POINT of this thread is that I actually got an audition for another band. I haven't responded to say I'm for sure interested. I've pretty much never played with any other band in my life. But this is an already established band, and they sent me their song list, and it's pretty much right up my alley. I would basically be "the new guy", and not the BL, which is fine, but would be a huge adjustment. Also I'm 31 and the guys in this other band are 45-51. That doesn't really bother me, I could probably learn a lot from those seasoned veterans. But it's scary to think about being the young guy, the new guy, the amateur, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think my musical abilities are up to the task (a large number of their songs were in our list anyway).

So basically, walk away from what's safe and familiar, but could possibly never get off the ground... or take a risk and play with a bunch of strangers who are already an established band and be thrown completely out of my comfort zone. Any ideas?
  2. Humbled

Humbled

Yes. Get out of your "comfort zone". It's likely your opportunity to get to the next level quicker.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do.
    Don't worry, from what you describe, the new band won't be as huge an adjustment as you think it will be.

Good luck.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's just an audition. If they hire you, well, that's good for you and not good for the band that can't get its proverbial together.
  5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Go for it. You can always go back and beat the dead horse later.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

You don't have to decide until after the audition, right? It will probably be much clearer what do do then.

Personally I would have loved to get to play with older and more experienced musicians.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

First off, a democracy in a band situation is only as good as the motivation level of the least interested member, and if there are multiple goals rather than a goal, well; I think you are currently living the idea.

OTOH, you have an opportunity to considerably lighten your musical load by becoming a cog in the wheel where your obligation is confined to showing up on time and doing an acceptable job on bass. Outside of that and a little help with schlepping gear, you can enjoy life rather than worry about a band member's poor taste in music as it applies to the common goal of the band, dealing with apathetic players, booking, and all the other tasks required of a good BL.

In addition to the obvious advantages of being just the bass guy in an already established group, you also have a chance to learn from people who've BTDT so if somewhere down the line you decide your vision can no longer wait you will have more practical experience to draw on in your role as BL while you shepherd your dream to fruition.

Keep in mind being just the bass guy requires a malleable ego. If you cannot be satisfied anywhere but in the drivers seat, then stick with your original project and dump the idea of a democratic band and get on with the business of herding cats.
  8. dropbass

dropbass

Sounds like a bad relationship.....just go play music and have fun.
  9. Itzayana

Itzayana

I think that this is very good advice. It is what I would do.
    I always ask myself the question, "Will this move me forward toward my goal?" If the answer is yes, it's time to go.

Also, as others have stated, you are only at the audition stage. They might not even make you an offer.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Play with both and decide late after you know what's best for you.
  11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Go for the audition. See if you like playing with the new band. Then if the new band works out, see if the members of the old band step up. They might just want to get together and play tunes and never get out of the garage. They might never notice that you have another band.
  12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Do the audition then see what happens. If nothing else it gives you the experience. Plus if the old band works out then great if not then you tried and move on.
    Also another thought is seeing you have a new singer (?), you may find that a couple of your old bandmates might want to start something new and more serious with you. Just other options to think of.
  13. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Its always good to play with better musicians than yourself.
  14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

If you go there will be trouble, and if you stay it will be double!

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D
  15. Chazinroch

Chazinroch Supporting Member

I've heard it somewhere that 3 things make for a good band situation. 1) Money, 2) Material, and 3) hang (how well band members get along). If you get 2 out of 3 then that's good, you put up with the 3rd. It's rare to get 3 out of 3 but it happens. So decide which 2 are most important and make your decisions from there. Good luck.
  16. Arthur Strand

Arthur Strand

Not too difficult a decision to make: 1. If you are a full-time musician, go where the money is but keep both options open. 2. If you are part-time with a good day job, it is less crucial but sensing any acrimony in Band 1, then do the audition for Band 2. If that goes well, stick with them.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Comfort zones are for sissys, do it. I personally prefer to be the worst player in my band, that means I have the most to gain.
  18. Lobomov

Lobomov

I haven't read all the replies, but in my mind, you have to try it!
  19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    HaHaHa....:D
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Move ahead, go forward, and whip it.