1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Should I take the chance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChopperDave, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I've been looking for a vintage-spec J or P neck for a while, now, and I've seen a few good ones slip away because of price or timing, etc ... Then this guy shows up, at $99 so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Jazz...088&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=291058306655&#ht_215wt_1312

The best I can gather is that the radius is what I want (7.25"), but I can't be sure about the chunkiness of the neck, front-to-back. (So, any info anyone has there is helpful.)

Anyway, the real concern is the crack near the truss. Is this enough to stay away?
  2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I'd be worried about the truss rod seeing as someone yanked it hard enough to crack the fingerboard. I'd pass at $99.00. Better deals out there for necks without untold issues.
  3. UK Philip

UK Philip

it might say fender but it also says squier. be weary of whether it'll fit.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

I don't see any crack. Neck appears to be in decent shape. $99 is kinda high IMO.
  5. ChopperDave

It's a Squier Series, so yeah, a Squier, but those "series" versions are generally well-regarded. I've had a number of Fender and Squier necks, and fit wasn't an issue on my Fender and Squier bodies.
  6. ChopperDave

It's there at the truss rod hole, into the fingerboard. I'm not sure $99 is steep for a non-cracked one, seeing what these things can go for, but I'm starting to think that if I have to ask ...

Attached Files: