Should I trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphovercraft, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

First of all I don't know if the other party is interested yet nor have I laid eyes or hands on the other bass, but I thought I'd get some opinions concerning a deal I'm contemplating trying to arrange ...

There's a 1983 Cutlass lined fretless for sale in my area. They're asking for $2000. I -just- bought a Classic Stingray 5 so there's no way I can buy another bass at this time. I do, however, have a Steinberger L2 lined fretless. I'm the original owner and it's in very good shape.

I also own a '79 Stingray, my primary bass, my baby, and no force on earth could get me to part with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect bass for me. If this Cutlass sounds anything like my '79 Ray, the Cutlass could be another slice of low-end heaven.

So, should I consider a straight trade? Just looking for opinions ... fire at will.
  2. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

I'd hang on to the Stein, just for variety. It's a bad idea to trade a real Steinberger anyhow.
  3. mp40smg

mp40smg

I think you'd be INSANE to trade the berger.

If you really hate it, then put it up for sale for insane money and have more than enough to buy the Cutlas outright and have $$$ left over.

But I think you'd really regret parting with it.
  4. jlepre

jlepre

I would do the trade.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Asomodai

Asomodai

Nope, dont do it. The L2 is worth more. The sabre whilst an OK bass was not brilliant. I imagine with the sabre reissue it is possible for the vintage ones prices to go down as well.
  7. jlepre

jlepre

Its NOT a Sabre, it's a Cutlass
  8. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

Thanks to all who replied. I've decided to not approach the owner regarding a trade. What finally decided the question ... I've has 2 basses made -for me- in my lifetime, an Alembic and the Steinberger. I sold the Alembic and wish I hadn't. I don't want a 2nd regret of equal magnitude.