1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should I try Chromes?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by geoff_in_nc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Apologies for this being long....

I was thinking earlier about asking about switching to flats, but frankly I can't just spend $$ on strings until I find what I like... and came upon this thread just now: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/ever-wonder-why-chromes-fairly-bright-flats-951908/ It got me wondering if I should try Chromes.

Here's my deal. I play everything from Motown to Classic Rock to Modern Country to pop-funk to modern pop in my band. I currently am stuck with having one bass which is a Peavey Millennium BXP 5 (passive Jazz bass layout). Someday I'll move up the foodchain, but not today. I play probably 95% fingerstyle, 5% pick and no slapping at all as of today.

I currently use DR Fat Beams which I like pretty well, but they have a bit more zing to them than I want, and I get a lot of finger noise. I want my notes to be clearly heard with some sustain when needed, not just thump thump thump, which is what I thought flats did, so I've kind of been avoiding trying them.

Can anyone give me some insight into Chromes and if they might serve my purpose? If anyone can point me to a recording of a Jazz type bass with Chromes, I'd appreciate it.

2. Jungy

Jungy

Yes, do it.
    Not the best demo's but they give an idea.

3. mogpipe

mogpipe

Do it! Chromes RULE! They RULE!!!
    Seriously, I thought I had found 'My' strings when I first used DR srings. Did that for a while, completely satisfied mind you, then decided to try some flats for the first time.
    Done some research, decided on Chromes. Fell in love with my bass ALL OVER AGAIN! Deep, old school tone. And a smooth feel like no other. Supposedly, you can keep them on a bass for years and they just get better. Do yourself a favor, get them.

the PIPE:hyper:

4. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I love them on my Marcus Miller signature Jazz. Nice, full bottom end with clarity and no finger noise!
    I'm told they lose brightness with age. So far mine haven't reached that point and still sound like they did when i bought them.

Get 'em, they're great!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I had them on a Jazz and didn't care for them they sounded too clanky to me.

7. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I play metal, and if chromes can cut through two over distorted guitars they will definitely work for you

8. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Chromes rule. That's all I have to say.

10. Drucocu

Drucocu

Do it,

Chromes are the best of both world, they're definitely not your grampa's flat, but cope the Motown Sound oh so well, if you turn down the tone. Yet they are brilliant like rounds, with absolutely NO finger noise, I mean, c'mon, it doesn't get better than this? Theyre my favorite strings and I didn't care for rounds for ages! oh, and slap works well too.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If you do switch to Chromes please remember they need a break in period. This period depends on how much/long you play etc. Once broken in they will feel and sound awesome.

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. I've decided I'm going to give them a whirl. Am I right thinking that Chromes are higher tension than say my DR Fat Beams?
    PS the videos posted really helped sell me along with a couple I found.

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. I love the sound of slap on Chromes. Great string for everything, and the ultra low action I can get with them is a definite bonus!!

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Yes, they are a higher tension. You can compensate by lowering your action.

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Also, I've NEVER had a problem with lack if sustain with Chromes. I mean, how long do you really need a note to ring??

16. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Get the 40-95 set, and add a single B string to make the 5 string set.

That will probably be pretty close in stiffness to your Fat Beams.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    +1. Go light at first.

18. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    Yessssss....get chromes. Give them time to break in and use a foam mute if you can!!

19. dalkowski

dalkowski

Get a set of Chromes. Then get a P to go with them.

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    This.

21. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Good advice. Most people give up on them before they are really broken in. They take a few weeks for the biting treble to calm down but it's TOTALLY worth the wait.

I've got a set on my backup bass that are over a year old and they sound fantastic.